Banana Plant is Giving Mixed Signals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autodidact

Aquarium Advice Newbie
See attached photos. The first photo shows the plant as it is now, after I popped all the dead tubers off. The other photo shows how brown the tubers were (obstructed by the pennywort and driftwood) before they popped off.
Everything seems healthy in this tank except this banana plant. It has been about 6 months since I got the plant. Leaf growth is good at a rate of about three growing to one dying but they are all a yellowish tint. It shot the one long leaf stem up about 2 weeks ago (no flowers yet).
The tubers have never looked as vibrant green as the pictures I see online of healthy ones and they had been getting progressively darker brown since I bought the plant. 3 days ago I noticed a white film growing on them. I didn't get around to doing anything until today. When I went to brush off the weird white slime the brown tubers easily popped off, dead.
It looks like there is maybe one tiny new green tuber growing (you can see it in the photo). Is that a good enough sign that they will all come back healthy? There are a lot of long thin long roots anchoring the plant.

This is a 10 gallon, planted tank. Ammonia was at .25 before the 35% water change I just did. I'm surprised it wasn't higher with the decaying tubers that were in there! I have a pretty cheap old petco lamp up top that came with the tank. That's on for 8 1/2 hours a day. I have strictly low light, low co2 plants in there. Submersible mechanical filter that is directed toward the wall to keep the current low for my Betta. Small heater that's keeping things around 74 F. The substrate is a gravel and sand mix that I am slowly removing the gravel from as it migrates to the top. I was dosing with flourish 6 days a week but I recently went down to about every other day or sometimes every 3. There are food tabs under the sand that I put in maybe a month and half ago.

What could be going on in my tank that is fine for all of the other plants but kills my banana tubers and yet allows the banana's leaves to grow so much?

Attachments

• 50c2d62c-d096-4b02-a5e1-77c4e488b9de.jpg
    50c2d62c-d096-4b02-a5e1-77c4e488b9de.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 9d020225-da21-4f59-93da-33b548205108.jpg
    9d020225-da21-4f59-93da-33b548205108.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom