Banded coral shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have now only one banded coral shrimp, but I am thinking I may want to get some other types of shrimp as well. Is it possible to keep this shrimp with others or will it kill them? I also read that they can or will kill smaller fish, true or not? And lastly, I just noticed this morning he/she molted sometime during the night. I was planning a water change for tomorrow, is it safe to one at this time or should I wait?

Hey Meredith,

I was asking the LFS about mixing shrimp and they said that the coral banded would probablly kill shrimp tankmates. I have not seen my shrimp attack any of my smaller fish, but I'm not sure if this applies to all coral banded shrimp, or just mine. HTH.

I know CBS will kill each other if they are not a mated pair. I think adding another type of shrimp would be a gamble, but you do have a good amount of space. Anything w/ claws like that is not exactly reef friendly IMO lol. I had one for a short time that would constantly harass fish. As far as the water change goes, it shouldn't matter either way.

I have been really interested in getting some cleaner shrimp. Which of the two (cbs or cleaners) are "better"? Are there any disadvantages to the cleaner shrimp?

Coral banded shrimps are pure :slurp: ...they will eat other shrimp, harrass fish...you name it...

I would take a cleaner over a cbs any day of the week. The only reason I still have my cbs is that I don't want to break down my entire tank to grab the little punk.

Which of the two (cbs or cleaners) are "better"?
I really like cleaner shrimp-tons of personality. Watching them clean a fish, or your hand, never gets old IMO. And if you get two (or more) they will mate creating live food for the tank. No need to worry about sexing, they are hermaphrodites.

I have a CBS in my reef and it causes no problems. It even cleans my copperband butterfly. I also have two peppermint shrimp (somewhere) two skunk cleaners, a pistol shrimp and one blood shrimp in the tank. Like I said, no troubles.

Ok, I think I will get a few cleaners and hopefully my tank is big enough they will just stay away from the cbs.

When I got my CBS he was in a tank with a ton of Camel back shrimp. He was on a rock fending them all of, like Bruce Lee surrounded by bad guys.

My CBS was the laziest thing in the world. He didn't eat anything except for the shrimp pellets I fed him every few days. I don't think he would be a threat to the fish, even though he did snap at them a few times. If he really wanted to kill them, he had plenty of chances while they were sleeping at night (the clowns just chill on the sandbed). Of course, it might all depend on your CBS as well. Good luck, Meredith.

We had a CBS for all of 24 hours. It killed one of our fish. :(

Edited to add that we took it back to the lfs, we didn't give it the death penalty or anything like that...although it was a temptation that crossed our minds!

Kimberly

Back
Top Bottom