Banded coral shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Suspected of murder; one banded coral shrimp.
My banded coral shrimp is now coming out at night from hiding for months. He is huge, at least 2" long. I am worried he may start (or already started as some fire fish are missing) to be a problem. Any ideas? How about catching him if he has to go? I have a fish trap, but he seems to crafty to get caught easily. I always thought they were reef safe, but my further reading leads me to believe that was a myth. There are a few zoas missing near his hole. And my emerald crabs are missing. But it is a big reef and stuff goes missing for months then just appears. I have a bad feeling about this particular shrimp. He has a look about him...

no they are not reef safe. no invert truly is. coral bandeds will nip at corals and kill fish. i caught mine with a huge net a piece of krill in it and waiting! lol

He was out and about last night. He is pretty big, you couldn't cover all of him with a saucer. He may have eaten some small fire fish I have (had) as they are the smallest fish in the system. My emerald crabs were big enough to fight back, I think. I could be paranoid, as no visible polyp damage can be seen. He is getting even as they beat the snot out of him when he was first added.

I am considering leaving on the blue moonlight LEDs all night.

You can always put him in the refugium. I'm thinking about getting some arrow crabs for my refuge

Back
Top Bottom