banded leporinus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
anyone own or had experience with these fish? I think they are absolutely fabolous looking with the bands, I've noticed I like striped fish for some reason lol, but does anyone know what kinda parameters these fish prefer, i'm thinking of putting one in a 75 gallon, but I would like to have the tank setup and ready to go when I get one, that is if I can find one without having to order it lol

They are viscous. My brother had one and it tore apart fish three times its size. The lfs said it was a peaceful specie, they were wrong. I've heard similar stories from others who have had the same experience. They do not belong in a community tank.

WHAT??!?!?! seriously, everything I read said they were very peaceful and oinly ate flake food, they do kinda remind me of an over grown tiger barb though

Fishyfanatic said:
They are viscous. My brother had one and it tore apart fish three times its size. The lfs said it was a peaceful specie, they were wrong. I've heard similar stories from others who have had the same experience. They do not belong in a community tank.

I completely agree. They are peaceful when small, but once they start growing, they become very aggressive. I had one that was in with my community, and he was like Gentle Ben. But he was just a baby too. But I decided to let him go, as they do get extremely vicious.

I've seen them get along fine with older tinfoil barbs, giant gorami's, and larger catfish. Of course you would need a tank much larger than 75 gal to house all of these together.

I agree with toddnbecka. They can do well with other aggressive fish. I had one that was doing well with some aggressive fish but he did not live to long. I do believe that they can grow to about 1' and that a 70G would be the min. tank size. They are nice looking fish.

My best friend got one about 6 months ago and the worst thing it did was destroy some plants (because he was not providing enough fresh greens!). So I figured since he was about 6 inches and very peaceful, I would add one to my tank. Mine is now about 2 months old and the most vicious fish out of 4 giant danios, 2 pepper corys, 2 gold gouramis, 1 pearl gourami, one unidentified geophagus, and now 1 German blue ram. He ate the other from the inside out in 2 hours. If only I had stayed home for a bit longer after I let them loose I could have saved her :( They were a beautiful couple that had already paired up at the local pet store I bought them at.

I've had two of these. Both died few months ago. I think one died do to ammonia and the other died do to collision with the rock =/

These fish are great when they are young and small. They will swim around when they are young, but once they get older they spend half of the time in a cave if you have one. They are VERY aggresive with smaller fish. I've also had trouble with their tails rotting. I would do pwc and also treated them with antibiotics and it would only help for a week and then their tails would start to rot again.

I think mine grew to about 7" before they died. They are beautiful colorfull fish... but they are trouble.

i forgot to add if you have slower moving fish with fancy fins/tails...they will get nipped/shredded by banded leporinus. At one time I put one of the ones I had into my 100gal catfish tank just to see how it does in a brackish water tank. Amazingly the fish did a lot better in a brackish water tank then a fresh water tank but within 2 days it destroyed my white tip sharks tails even though my sharks are 1 footers.

I used to have one that got about 8 inches until I gave it away (again..)

Really, more than anything, they're unpredictable. One week, they'll be okay and eat perfectly, the next they nip at everything and just won't eat. Very interesting fish as they get bigger- but too much to handle in a normal aquarium. I had mine in a 65 gallon, and I really would suggest a 100g tank because of size issues, and the fact they swim alot (as they age).

I don't see how people can put them in a community tank, when, really, they're used in display tanks with pythons, pacus, arowanas, gar, etc. I've seen them a few times in various tank displays in zoos around my area.

Absolutely not plant safe. From my experience they will shred your plants. They may or may not ignore your fish, but you'll never catch him doing the damage.

Basically, if you have a hiding place he'll sit there all day, doing nothing. Then, when you go to bed, he'll wreak havoc in your tank.

Well, my leporinus just killed it's my other blue ram. I was watching the ram not 20 minutes ago and thinking to myself how much better he was looking than when he was when I bought him. Then I watched an episode of The Simpsons and glanced over at my tank to see the leporinus dragging the 1/4-eaten ram carcass around the lava rock to his hiding spot. Evil fish. I almost flushed him right then and there but I decided to not be cruel and sell him to the local pet store. I am so pissed right now!

They are a vicious fish, and should only be kept in a large tank with other AGGRESSIVE fish. Sorry to hear about the Ram. Rams are one of my fav fish.....

Back
Top Bottom