Banjo catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a banjo catfish from my LFS and I would like to know a bit more about them. The main thing I would like to know is how large the catfish is going to get. It's pretty tiny right now and it's going in a 20 gallon long tank with some apple snails. I have larger tanks so if size is a problem I can always move him to another one of my tanks.

Hi! Banjo catfish are really great! I had one for about a year. I lost him to bacterial infestations in my tank. They will only grow to be about 4 inches long, so no worries about moving them to a big tank.They love to dig in and hide under sand so If you have gravel it might not be too healthy for them as they prefer low light. They usually come out at night. Mine loved shrimp pellets or any food that sank. Good luck with your new friend!

They can reach 6" - the largest I have stocked at work is 5". There is also an 'eel tailed banjo cat' which look even weirder! They can be a little delicate at first, but soon settle. They are nocturnal, so feed before lights out, or fit a blue tube light to view them in action.

They can reach 6" - the largest I have stocked at work is 5". There is also an 'eel tailed banjo cat' which look even weirder! They can be a little delicate at first, but soon settle. They are nocturnal, so feed before lights out, or fit a blue tube light to view them in action.

Do they eat normal fish food or is there a certain food they like? I know in my 40 gallon my Raphael striped catfish likes to eat blood worms.

Do they eat normal fish food or is there a certain food they like? I know in my 40 gallon my Raphael striped catfish likes to eat blood worms.

They will eat most fish foods once settled. Bloodworm is a good start point. They should eat sinking catfish pellets too

Back
Top Bottom