Base rock to LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
For a 125G, I am looking along the lines of about 250 LBs.
1. What would a good ratio of base to LR be?
2. Where are the best prices for base?
3. Those of you that got LR from Tampabaysaltwater.com, did you have to pick it up from an airport, or will they deliver to a home?

Thanks!

You keeping the current tank too?

If it were me, I'd prolly do about 100lbs of LR and 150 of the base. But if you got 70lbs already.....

Yeah, I'm keeping the 55G. I just can't get rid of my damsels! LOL! They really have some personality.
Cool, that sounds like a good ratio. Now to find a decent place for both! I did forget drsfosterand smith don't charge extra for weight. I just bout 270LBS of sand, 3 phs, lighting system/celing hangers and it cost 15.99 for shipping!

No where local to hand pick any rocks? Live or base?

I hand picked my base and got a lot of it kinda flat like stuff. That served as my bottom, from where I stacked other, more porous base and live rock on top of it. That was for my pistol and so I didn't have to bury the bottom of that good looking rock.

Lemme know what you got so far in equip. Any chance for a FW reservoir underneath that cabinet? I love my 37g fw tank with an auto top-off under my cabinet. Don't touch it for about 2 weeks. More/better lights usually means more evap. That drove me crazy w/my first tank. Almost every day or two.

Sump? Fuge? Sump/fuge?

New tank!!! I'm excited.

PS - I think I paid $2 per lb for my base. Glued/puttied a lot of it togther when it was dry for some interesting shapes and swim thrus.

This is what I just bought today:
1) CD-434262 Seachem Test Kits Iodine and Iodide
Quantity: 1
- - - - - - - - - -
2) CD-967052 Aragamax Sand (30 lbs)
Quantity: 9
- - - - - - - - - -
3) CD-18867 SEIO Pump M820
Quantity: 3
- - - - - - - - - -
4) CD-18797 Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture 72" 834W Quantity: 1
- - - - - - - - - -
5) CD-21154 Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture Suspension
Hardware(adjusts from 12" to 72")

I am definitely planning on a sump/fuge and now that you mention it, I will do the FW reservior.
I don't have anywhere that close where I can get decent prices or quantities on base or LR. LR runs for $8-12.99/Lbs. My LFS only has a small amount of base. I might run up to Randallstown, for the LR/base.
Yeah, I will probably "custom" make some of my base into similar structures. Heh, 270LBS of sand...for some reason, that just sounds crazy! LOL! Oh yeah, I ordered all that from drsfosterandsmith, only cost me $15.99 for 7day shipping. Not bad, since all the other places I priced, shipping on the lighting alone was between $70-100.

+++EDIT+++
Just wanted to add:
water movement should be 19.68% GPH (if my math is correct)
WPG 6.672 (so that should be enough for an anenmoe, right)?

Congrats on the new tank. I guess since its on this forum it`s going to be FOWLR tank. Shucks I thought I could get you to go reef. I have 200 lbs in mine.

Now that you mention it, I think I might do some corals (if possible). That's why I went kind of high on the water movement, but the lighting seems a little better than average?

Yeah, actually, I will give you a call. I really want to see a sump/fuge/skimmer in live action.
Yeah, the amount of sand it gave me was 240LBs, for a 2 inch sandbed. Now that I think about it, I may add a little more. I have a feed place in town that sells colored sand, I might see if I can get a little more. The guy sold me 25LBs for 2.50 a LBs. LOL! It's still sitting in the bag!

Mike469 said:
Rok, going Reef?? Oh boy, it just got worse!! :mrgreen:
LOL! I may "dabble" with the excellent help of our "reefers", youself included! I ordered lights that will provide 6.6 WPG, so I may show up in the reef forum, to ask the experts!

Back
Top Bottom