Basement water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have moved my tanks to the basement today. Is it safe to use the water from a drop sink in the basement?

Basement water

Hello skenny...

I have several large tanks in my basement and my tap water is the same throughout my house. I don't know the source of your tap water, but if you're on city water, then you'll be fine using the basement tap water.

Just make sure you treat the tap water with something similar to Seachem's Prime to remove the chlorine chloramin, ammonia, etc. to make the water safe for your fish.

B

Ok I did use prime. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the rest of the house.

I ran some 60 degree water through the filter but then heated it up with he heater before returning the fish. Did I kill the bacteria in the filter?? Or are cold temps ok for bacteria

It didn't kill the bacteria, but nitrification does slow around 64 degrees. I suppose it's possible a drastic temperature swing could shock the bacteria and there's the potential for toxin spikes for a few days until it recovers (it if was indeed damaged), so just keep a sharp eye on your parameters for a while.

Some facts about nitrifying bacteria-
http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Added cold water to tank

I added cold water to a cycled but empty tank. I assume the water was about sixty degrees maybe colder, did I kill all my bacteria, that would be a disaster.

Well I am leaving for the week so I can't
Moniter it. So you don't think it was damaged at all? It may have been cooler. It was brought back up to temp fairly quickly using the heater.

Well I am leaving for the week so I can't
Moniter it. So you don't think it was damaged at all? It may have been cooler. It was brought back up to temp fairly quickly using the heater.

There's no way to really tell. I've never studied temperature effects on nitrifying bacteria other than what I've read. For instance though, sudden swings in pH can potentially effect conversion rates...so I'd assume the possibility exists for drastic temperature changes as well. Bacteria doesn't die until it hits freezing point...but how it is effected is a different story.

It wasn't that much colder than the water that was in the tank. Maybe 10 degrees cooler. I'll go test the temp and edit this pos

72 degrees Warner thN I expected

It might be OK, if there's a heater in there it should have come on right away and heat things up fast. If there's no fish in there you could try adding a dose of pure ammonia and then check the water the next day to make sure the ammonia is gone, then you know the cycle is ok.

that I am not sure. but the experts over here always advice to add water the same temperature as your old tank water. as for the question if the beneficial bacteria died, I can't be sure if they do die in temperature change.

O just took the tap water temp. It was 72 degrees I think that woe be fine. Correct?

I will test ammonia in the morning, the fish are back in and seem happy. The tetras look like thy mayb have some damaged scales however. On a side note. It's my first time with a sand substrate. Is clumping of the sand normal. It also looks as if there are sand bubbles on the top. I put in the sand and then the water.

Ok i tested ammonia this morning. It was 0. This tank is fully stocked so i believe if the bacteria was killed it would have spiked by now. so Phew i think im ok...
off on vacation for a week now. Hopefully my fish will be fine.

I just got back. My guppies are gasping at the surface. No ammonia , what is going on!!!

skenny said:
I just got back. My guppies are gasping at the surface. No ammonia , what is going on!!!

What's the water temperature? Do you have good surface agitation (air stones, surface movement, etc...)? I assume you tested nitrIte as well?

Temp is 78, I think there is plenty of agitation. No frites and only 10 or 20 ppm of trates.

I saw your other thread too...I agree with jeta and say, when in doubt...change water. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom