Bazza the freshwater tortoise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
A while back (Oct 06) I posted about Bazza. He was only a tiny guy then, and I didn't get a pic. But now I have one and he has grown quite a bit. Won't be long and he will need alternate accomodation.

I now have a photo and it will be going in the gallery.

hulkamaniac said:
You beat me to it. Tortoises all live on land. If it's aquatic or semi-aquatic it's a turtle.

Or, if you look at it the way Europeans do, which I consider most proper, 'tortoises' are terrestrial, 'terrapins' are semi-aquatic FW/BW, and sea-going species are 'turtles'.

Murray River short-neck tortoise, Emydura macquarii.

Here is more info on it. www.adelaidezoo.com.au/media/files/895.pdf

From this document I have snipped a quote.

"Turtle or tortoise? There is actually no technical difference defining turtles and tortoises. Commonly, marine species with flippers are referred to as turtles where as the species with feet and claws are referred to as tortoises. Freshwater species with webbed feet and claws are referred to as Tortoises in Australia to save confusion with the marine animals."

After looking into it it seems to be an Australian thing to call them tortoises....

mattrox said:
"Turtle or tortoise? There is actually no technical difference defining turtles and tortoises.

To be accurate, there is quite a lot of difference in foot morphology between terrapins and tortoises, as well as reasonable shell/scute morphology differences.

Back
Top Bottom