BBA changing colors...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angry the Clown

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think that I have had my CO2 level consistent for the past several days.

I noticed that the color of a large patch has changed from black to a maroonish color. I know that BBA can manifest itself as reddish.

My question is if this sounds like a good thing that the color is changing, or could it be indicative of something worse heading my way?

I have also noticed a substantial reduction in the amount of new algae that is forming/growing, but that may be because of the addition of two new albino bristle-nose plecos (I am enthralled by these fish!) I just wish the plecos would eat the BBA. They clean everything up to the very edge of the BBA and then head for some better eats elsewhere.

Any thoughts on the color changing algae would be appreciated!

I think you just made it angry!

Seriously though, I hope it is on its way out.
FYI..it's technically a red algae.

Take a clump out of your tank and look at what colour it is in 2-3 hours. It will be a bright red (because it's dead).. I enjoyed watching mine die off..

Yup, when I got my CO2 straight I did an excel "initial dose" every day for a week. The stuff never stood a chance and I haven't seen it since.

Congrats, sounds like you've got it beaten.

That has me so relieved. It's not so bad on some of the bigger rocks in my tank, it has a cool look to it, but having it grow on the edges of my plants drives me nuts. The rocks are where the maroon color is coming in, not yet on the plants, but as stated above, I haven't noticed any new BBA growing on the new plant growth. So I will keep my fingers crossed that it all goes away very soon. Thanks again for all the input!

I agree with everyone else. When I spot treated my BBA, it would turn dark red within and hour, then slowed turned grey. Then I had a mess of dead algae to clean up! (Thank you, flag fish.)

Seems my lemon tetras are constantly picking at it, along with the five platys that I got to help establish stronger biological bacteria.

We are going to go check out a new lfs today, so I will see if I can spot anything else that may help out with eating the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom