BBA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jconner3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I replaced my leaking 60 gallon with a 55 and in order to avoid having the serious algae problems that I was having before, I've split my photoperiod and reduced the amount of ferts. I just noticed today that there's a new algae on some of my plants and I'm pretty sure it's the beginnings of BBA, but I'm not sure. Right now the lights are from 12:30-3:30 and then from 6:30-10:30. The co2 comes on and goes off an hour before the lights. Could this be the cause? I was afraid to leave it on the whole time because I didn't want to suffocate the fish

image-2264267005.jpg

That could be the start of BBA. What type of lighting and bulbs? What size tank and depth? Reducing ferts when you have algae isn't a good idea. What are you using for ferts and how often? Do you know your nitrate and phosphate readings? Algae happens when there is an imbalance between light, CO2, and ferts?

I run my CO2 the same way 1 hour before lights go on and off. Have you tried increasing your CO2? Is your drop checker green?

That could be the start of BBA. What type of lighting and bulbs? What size tank and depth? Reducing ferts when you have algae isn't a good idea. What are you using for ferts and how often? Do you know your nitrate and phosphate readings? Algae happens when there is an imbalance between light, CO2, and ferts? I run my CO2 the same way 1 hour before lights go on and off. Have you tried increasing your CO2? Is your drop checker green?

It's a 4 bulb t5ho odyssea fixture over a 55 gallon tank. I only run two bulbs at a time though. I'm EI dosing dry ferts. The tank has only been set up a week or so, so my nitrates are hanging around 20ish, but, I don't know my phosphate readings. I've increased the co2 a little, but I'm not at home the majority of the day so I'm afraid ill gas my fish if I turn it up too much

For starters you need to run your lights 6 hours a day until you get the algae under control. Also what type of plants and how many are in the tank? So are you cycling the tank if it's only been set up a week? Try turning up the CO2 by 1 or 2 bps while your home over the weekend. You'll be there to monitor your fish.

For starters you need to run your lights 6 hours a day until you get the algae under control. Also what type of plants and how many are in the tank? So are you cycling the tank if it's only been set up a week? Try turning up the CO2 by 1 or 2 bps while your home over the weekend. You'll be there to monitor your fish.

The tank has already been cycled, I had 60 gallon but it started leaking so I replaced it with the 55 and transferred over everything. Right now the tank has some pennywort, moneywort, aternanthera reineckii, red tiger lotus, and water wisteria. There was more, but I moved a bunch to another tank

I'd say running lights only 6 hours and trying to up your CO2 will be your best bet. If the BBA gets worse then I'd suggest spot treating it with Hydrogen peroxide.

Back
Top Bottom