BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arrived home late last night. Unfortunately i am declaring this tank a disaster zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most likely related to the Co2 issues but this will be a big project this weekend unfortunately.

So heres the story... When the tank got gassed, the person looking over thank tank tried to get the CO2 levels down by running the BML a few extra hours until the drop checker turned green again. He knew the light would cause the plants to absorb all the CO2. Well the algae didnt get too crazy just some GSA, whatever deficiency i had was made worse. The plants rotted in the middle of the stem and lost all green. The blyxa is dead or white, mermaid weed is destroyed. Crazy enough the pogo looks great. The nitrates are through the roof like 80ppm and somehow that ram is still alive. Doing a huge cleanup/ waterchange tonight. Already worked on the solenoid and hopefully fixed it. Wish me luck...

Bizarre... were ferts being dosed properly throughout this episode?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, since i dose pretty close to EI levels i dosed an EI dose before i left and an equivalent of a weekly dose was made after 6-7 days

The pictures really don't do it justice.
img_3192728_0_10c502b1f7226e09693527358857578a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3192728_1_72c7def4c35509d4001a85c78adc780d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3192728_2_8df18ed46df5cef58e91142e789df8d5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3192728_3_01a7b873cedac5907cbe7f28e5943b89.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3192728_4_028e5e943f25e2f2f0a49a74eefbaa5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3192728_5_47349f90390ceb2ab83594bf44cf7d70.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's awful. How odd the pogo is acting as if nothing happened.
Next time you are away you might consider shutting off the CO2 and running the lights on a very reduced schedule. Or even a blackout or close to it.
If it is the solenoid, maybe it's time for an upgrade (GLA) if you can't get a warranted replacement.

Honestly, I got pretty confident I was close to getting the tank running well again so I got greedy and didnt want to change the light schedule. I had someone looking after the tank daily but that didnt turn out so well.

+1 on the GLA equipment, I am still contemplating doing a small low tech shrimp tank. Id rather do that than get a new regulator but we will see what happens with the current one.

That pogo has been the weirdest plant. For the first month I had it I barely kept it alive. Now I think I could grow it in a bottle of rubbing alcohol without a problem! LOL

The small low tech shrimp tank sounds like a winner. Low to very, very little maintenance. Weekly water changes, feed 2-4x a week. I have a low light tank with moss, crypts, Bacopa caroliniana, and star repens.
Same deal with the pogo. Babied it from near extinction in my tank early on and now it's one that keeps my scissors busy.

Yeah, good little tank to have to not worry much about. All id need is a light and a small bag of AS

So what do you guys think... What caused this mess?

Polar vortex?? El nino? Global warming? There's only one person I can think of that would have a definitive answer in 200 words or less .. Sir Tom Barr..

And his answer is always: CO2, CO2, CO2. I can't find anything that talks about stems just dieing in the middle.

My answer is..throw it out the window.. get an ada 60p with ada aquasoil and try again:)

Wow, sounds like a great idea! You buying? LOL

Yep! For myself anyways:p seriously though, I wish I had an answer for you, I'm shocked and happy that you're still enthusiastic about this tank.. i would have put a hermit crab in there and called it done haha

Back
Top Bottom