BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry, I got confused with another thread, it's been a long day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Too many nutrients, not enough plants. Do a 25% WC every day, and reduce your ferts or stop dosing entirely until it clears. Are you aerating? What's your co2 concentration? Too much co2 can cause this, too.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might be on to something with the co2... It was high for a few days in a row about a week ago before i started to see the cloudiness

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Too many nutrients, not enough plants. Do a 25% WC every day, and reduce your ferts or stop dosing entirely until it clears. Are you aerating? What's your co2 concentration? Too much co2 can cause this, too.

Isn't EI dosing based on flooding the tank with excess nutrients?

If EI dosing caused algae blooms then im not sure many would use it

I don't dose the EI method. I have read that low nitrates can cause this as well and if the too much CO2 could be a cause then I may have inadvertently created a good environment for this. I need to adjust the nitrate solutions so I can actually add some sustainable nitrate to my tank and the CO2 is due to losing my solenoid last month and not being able to 100% dial it in like it was... So we will see after the black out.....

All methods have the potential for algae blooms. The El method is only successful when you're doing multiple 50%+ water changes per week.

Not enough light, too much light, too long of a light period, not enough nutes, too much nutes, not enough co2, too much co2... Given how quickly plants can absorb available nutrients with an abundance of co2, purging extra nutrients every day after a light cycle with a water change would be optimum. Realistically, not so much.

Hence the biggest discussion is about finding that critical point for your particular tank and situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anxious to pull back the cover! Found a decent price on a UV sterilizer if i need it, crossing my fingers i don't!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408664934.343466.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408664934.343466.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 61
I run UV most nights. I also over feed like crazy. Trying to keep my dwarf gourami from eating each other, heh. Still algae'd out.

Yea if i didnt also have to get a new solenoid i probably would have just gotten it.

Here is post black out, much improved but still pretty cloudy... What do you guys think get the sterilizer?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408761616.689537.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408761616.689537.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 67
Much better! Can't hurt??

Thats what im thinking and for only $30... Should also help with killing stuff after a water change

Look any better/worse?

If the tank is still cloudy, I think the blackout wasn't conducted long enough. I believe I did mine for 4 days straight. But if you don't mind spending money on a UV sterilizer, go for it.

Yea it was only $25 after shipping... And im sure it will end it entirely.

Here is an update! Tank has really cleared up(of course the sterilizer come in today). It still will be beneficial to run after water changes to kill algae spores. I had to take out the diandra since it did not do well during the black out. I am thinking about mixing some of the stem plants to have less groups. Or i may get another stem plant. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408976935.036745.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408976935.036745.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 57
Looking good. Especially the AR mini.
Another group of stem plants in the left corner would be nice. Something green to contrast with the AR mini and with fine leaves. Perhaps Pogostemon erectus, Ambulia, or Myrio?

I agree, but I think a larger leafed plant could actually work well. A tall crypt perhaps? Maybe a bulb plant? A sword?

Pogo would also be good though.

Ar brought a tear to my eye b... Something in the back left could be nice.. I vote pogo!

Back
Top Bottom