Been cycling for a week. How do my numbers look? Anything I should change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrono1081

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I've been cycling my tank for a week and its not quite going as I thought it would, so I was wondering if things are indeed normal or if I need to make some changes.

I have two tanks, the Living Room Tank and the Quarantine Tank. Neither have had fish and both are being cycled.

Living Room Tank:
-4 plants
-8 gallons
-heater on and temp is 78 degrees
-bubble wand on

Feb 14: (before ammonia dosing)
pH: 6.4
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Feb 15: (after ammonia dosing)
pH: 6.4
Ammonia: 4 ppm

Feb 22: (Added pH Up to help get cycle started, I am unable to obtain natural materials locally)
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Quarantine Tank:
-No plants
-1 gallon
-heater on and temp is 78 degrees
-no bubble wand (and no filter to circulate water)

Feb 14:
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.5 ppm

Feb 15: (Used ph Down, again, I am unable to obtain natural materials where I live). Also dosed ammonia.
pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 4 ppm

Feb 22:
pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrite: 5+ ppm (literally off the charts. As soon as I put the test chemicals in the tube the water turns deep purple).
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Does everything look like its going ok? Anything I should change?

Why are you messing with the pH?

Some of the articles I read (sorry I forget which ones) said the cycle may not start with a pH below the 6.6 range so I aimed to move the pH between 6.6 and 7.6 (I forget where I got the 7.6 number).

Oh I forgot to mention this is a fishless cycle.

Great! Thanks :)

I promise I won't touch pH again before asking ;) I do want Neon Tetras though and I read they need a pH around 6.6. Should I lower the pH once my tank cycles?

Not sure about the Tetras but everything I have read says dont touch the Ph as long as its stable

Snowinak said:
Not sure about the Tetras but everything I have read says dont touch the Ph as long as its stable

You got it ^^^
A stable pH is the key. Once you start messing with it is when you get problems. What kind of tetras? I keep rummys, neons and skirts at pH 7.8-8. A also keep harlequin rasboras with no issues.

You're actually showing good numbers for only a week. Typically ammonia starts dropping steadily within 2 weeks and nitrites show around week 3-4. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If not, you should just so you know what you're starting with.

The first day on my post was the base testing of tap water (sorry I should have added that). The second post was after the ammonia dosing, and the third was tested a week later.

I'll keep checking it every other day or so.

Ageed- stop trying to alter the ph with chemicals. Can you please test your water straight from the tap for ammonia, nitite & nitrate? On one tank, you said the amm level was .25 when you started & the other you mentioned as .50- you really need to know exactly what you are putting in your tanks.

Second, you also mentioned the qt tank has no filter or aeration (bubbler, airstone etc)? If you plan on using this tank, you really need some sort of filter on this tank for both aeration & filtration. Even a sponge filter will suffice if you dont have the funds to buy a small hob. Your bb will also benefit from the aeration as well.

Your cycle looks good so far with things progressing quicker than one would expect. Keep up the good work! :)

Hmm this is interesting. I looked up my numbers from my tap water test and there is no ammonia, not sure how I got ammonia in the tank without fish 0_0. The initial tank readings posted above were done by testing the water a full day after letting it cycle through the aquariums so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

That being said there is some backstory:

The Living Room tank had fish in it, but only for a few hours, then they all died. It had a shrimp in there too and he lasted for a few days. Once they all died I emptied the tank, rinsed off all the decorations, replaced the substrate (from gravel to sand) and added some real plants. The filter was also the same.

The Quarantine tank shouldn't have any ammonia in it, but it did have a rinsed off toy from the Living Room tank. I don't know if any of those had anything to do with it.

I also do have an airstone for the Quarantine tank but I stole it and stuck it in the main tank since I read it'll make the cycle go faster.

Here is my initial tap water readings:

Tap Water:
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm

Thanks! I suspect the dead fish/shrimp in the amm readings in your main tank but I am honestly not sure where they came from in your qt. No worries though as your tap sits at zero. This is important to know for future fish & for water changes.

The extra aeration definitley helps cycling because the bacteria need oxygen in order to process ammonia. You will just need to get a small hob filter or sponge filter (with an airpump to run it) for your qt. Keep us posted & dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

Thanks! I'll keep checking the water every other day.

Today I have to re-set up a tank for these guys: (I had a tank all set up but yesterday the heating pad on the bottom stopped working and I had to rip it all apart and overnight a new heater since the frogs were coming today).

2ikv3l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom