Beginner and Learning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benanemone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 600litre or 160gal tank. currently in my tank i have:

live rock
birds nest coral
toadstool coral
lace coral
brain worm coral
2 * BT Anemone
2 * Abalone
1 * Cowrie
1 * Blue Starfish
2 * Black Ocelarious Clowns
2 * Tomatoe Clowns
1 * Valentini Puffer
1 * Snowflake Eel
1 * Cleaner Wrasse
1 * Yellowtail Dansel
1 * Coral Beauty
4 * Coral Catfish
1 * Green Spotted Mandarin
1 * Spendid Mandarin

i have had this tank running now for about 7 months. everything seems to be going well have lost a couple of little fish here and there but i suspect a mantis shrip maybe the cause... i know i have a few things in the tank that are not supposed to go together but its all in the name or learning.. i just buy what i think will look nice.. i have just noticed today that one of my anemone has spilt and i now have 3 anemones in my tank and the tomatoe clowns play in all three.. i am slowly building up my tank to what i would like am hoping to get some more live rock very soon.

I have taken a couple of photos which i will try to upload to show you. but would love any feed back or advice and will answer any questions. i think i am becoming very addicted to this tank...

pics

Attachments

• PB110002.jpg
    PB110002.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 108
  • PB110003.jpg
    PB110003.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 93
  • PB110005.jpg
    PB110005.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 78
  • PB110006.jpg
    PB110006.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 81
pics2

Attachments

• PB110009.jpg
    PB110009.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 64
  • PB110015.jpg
    PB110015.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 75
  • PB110016.jpg
    PB110016.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 64
i know i have a few things in the tank that are not supposed to go together but its all in the name or learning.. i just buy what i think will look nice..

I would like to respectfully suggest that instead of losing fish and inverts in the name of learning that you instead try researching these things out. There are many resources out there that you can find the answers out in the name of learning. I would also like to say respectfully that looking nice is not always going to cut it. Some fish and inverts just are not compatible to others. This is where research comes in. Should be top priority for your tank. I have many fish and corals over ten yrs old in my tank and I`d like to say it was from researching. My very first fish I got 12 yrs ago died last week and I`m still sad about that. Not patting myself on the back but just wanted to show you what a little research will do.

noted... which i sthe biggest reason why i joined this site, so i could learn from people like you. are you able to give me any info about what i have in the tank or what could make it better...
and why has my anemone split, is that a good sign or a bad one

You have some high light requirement livestock, but did not post your tank lighting.
You also don't list the filtration you are using?
Do you have a sump?
A protein skimmer?

7 months is still quite young for some of the livestock you have in the tank unless it was just added.

Also, how much LR do you have. It doesn't seem to be enough to support a large enough pod population for two mandarins.

sorry...

i have 2 x 4FT Double T5 54W High Output Aquarium Lights

i have a sump with a protein skimmer in it, and i have a cannister filter that flows through a fluid bed filter and my chiller

i have approx 70kg of live rock

i started with the two damsels in the tank after 6 sweeks of the tank running. and i 20kg of live rock in at time time stating from week 2

the splitting of the anemone is a bad sign. they usually do this because of stress.
you need about double the live rock you have for that size tank. you will need to cure that rock in a separate container, now that the main tank is loaded with livestock.
also, i think your snowflake eel is going to swallow up the damsels and clownfish eventually.

also, 4 x 54 watt t-5 lamps is not going to be enough to keep your sps colorful, and maybe not even the anemone. what are the dimensions of this tank? how deep top to bottom?

hye benanemone.....6 weeks of the tank running....did u meant the tank already cycled..????

yeah...29" is a long way to reach. too far for 4 x 54. i would use a minimum of 6 x 54, and for sps i wouldn't go less than 8 x 54. i would also use high end bulbs, like ATI and giesemann. they also look a heck of a lot better than the stock bulbs that come with those fixtures.
check out ATI blue plus and ATI aquablue special.

there are many ways to light a reef. halides, T-5s, LEDs...all will work if you have the correct setup.
it's a matter of preference actually.

you'll need at least 2 x 250 watt halides. you could even use 2 x 400 watters if you love sps.
or just search for a 8 x 54 watt T5 HO fixture with individual reflectors (the reflectors are very important on any fixture, but T5s really benefit from quality reflectors.

What are those 6 tubes hanging down? Is there only one powerhead in the tank? The tank is looking good so far.

What are those 6 tubes hanging down? Is there only one powerhead in the tank? The tank is looking good so far.

hey chizer.

those things at the back of the tank are 2inchs wide panels of glass that are attached to the tank itself... and yes at the moment i only have the one power head...

Back
Top Bottom