Beginner breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhys23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am interested in the possibility of breeding cichlids and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me, I have never bred fish before so I wouldn't have a clue besides some info on a couple of threads I've read, what are the simplest and most effective cichlids to breed, ideally I would prefer to breed Africans but at the moment I don't have access to a big enough tank ( my 55g is being used as an African community ) so I may have to settle for Americans, any advise is welcome!

Thanks. Rhys :)
Thanks

I've read that Kribensis are easy to breed (they're African). S. American Convicts are easy too. Since both cichlids are pretty small, a medium sized tank would work.

I've heard convicts are quite easy, what is the minimum size tank for a kribensis pair?

Okay thanks for the help anyway, hopefully someone's got some helpful tips for the both of us! :)

The first thing to do is assess what equipment you have to work with. After you figure that out, you can decide what size fish to work with, and then from there I suggest finding a particular strain or species that you really like so that it doesn't become a chore.

Well the tank won't be any bigger than 10 gal so I'd imagine that would rule most cichlids out

Yeah well there's nothing in the tank atm, so I want to maybe just have a pair

Back
Top Bottom