Beginner plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are some good plants for a beginner?

Also what kind of lighting should I use for plants. I have a 30 gallon tank with two Anubis plants and am not sure if my lighting is good for them. I am using the lighting that came in my aqueon deluxe kit with the tank!

The lighting you have now should be fine for those 2 anubias, but add any more plants and you may need an upgrade! The most important factors to keep a healthy planted tank is lighting, substrate, and fertilizers. First, what substrate are you using? I would recommend any of the low light plants to start with (crypts, anubias, java ferns/mosses, amazon swords (maybe), vals, dwarf sag) are all good starter plants IMO. Maybe some other people can give you some more info :)

The lighting you have now should be fine for those 2 anubias, but add any more plants and you may need an upgrade! The most important factors to keep a healthy planted tank is lighting, substrate, and fertilizers. First, what substrate are you using? I would recommend any of the low light plants to start with (crypts, anubias, java ferns/mosses, amazon swords (maybe), vals, dwarf sag) are all good starter plants IMO. Maybe some other people can give you some more info :)

The substrate I have is white sand from petco. It's about 2 inches deep.

Sand is probably the worst substrate for plants nutrient wise, since it contains absolutely nothing the plants need to grow. If you were to plant this tank you would in addition to regular dry/liquid fert dosing add some root tabs to keep nutrients in the sand the plants can soak up in the roots.

Sand is probably the worst substrate for plants nutrient wise, since it contains absolutely nothing the plants need to grow. If you were to plant this tank you would in addition to regular dry/liquid fert dosing add some root tabs to keep nutrients in the sand the plants can soak up in the roots.

Where can I get root tabs and how do I use them?

Petco has them but I like the sachem tabs they cost about the same but last much longer they are also at petco and petsmart but you can get a better deal on amazon

If you don't want to spend money on the really good ones online, I know that PetSmart sell Seachem's root tabs (I forget the proper name of them), that you can use. Don't get me wrong, they are great tabs, but they are not the best if you get what I am saying. I would use them, anyways. I use AquariumPlants.com 's tabs and you just inject one - two tabs beside the plants and spread the tabs per the directions on the labels, and replace them from a month-3 month range, again, use the directions. Each tab is different.

Thank you both!!! I will use this info and try and grow some plants.

Back
Top Bottom