Behavior change in Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
The title say is all, I've notice that my dwarf gourami behavior has change since I added new decor and added 3 brand new danio long fish tail. His been hiding in the corners not wanting to swim like he used to. What could it be this behavior?? Anyone?? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419990956.175794.jpg

Are the new fish long-finned zebra danios? Those can nip other fish's fins and pester them causing them to go into a kind of 'shock'.

Are the new fish long-finned zebra danios? Those can nip other fish's fins and pester them causing them to go into a kind of 'shock'.

Yes they are zebra danios ... Would my gourami snap out of the shock?

I got rid of my zebra danios because of their issues. Gave them to a friend

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes they are zebra danios ... Would my gourami snap out of the shock?

IMO the gourami will return to normal behavior once the danios are gone. Danios may not be the best choice for this tank. With a low number (3) the aggression will probably be directed to the weakest of the danios and the other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IMO the gourami will return to normal behavior once the danios are gone. Danios may not be the best choice for this tank. With a low number (3) the aggression will probably be directed to the weakest of the danios and the other fish.

I just bought them yesterday! I would be terrified to give them away. But I'll do a little experiment ... Will take them
Out for awhile and see if the gourami will swim
Would you recommend getting more? A bigger group??

In my experience, it's the faster swimming fish that intimidate the gourami. I had 3 pearl gourami in my 55 gallon tank and they were great in there. Then later I put 8 congo tetras in and once they grew up, the pearl started hiding. Once I added plants to make the tank heavily planted, the pearls are better. As I have read people say before here, I won't mix gourami with fast swimming fish. And they need plants, including floating ones to feel comfortable. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I just bought them yesterday! I would be terrified to give them away. But I'll do a little experiment ... Will take them
Out for awhile and see if the gourami will swim
Would you recommend getting more? A bigger group??

Kind of late to suggest doing research before making additions...
The usual advice is that a larger number of danios will help disperse aggression, however, the current stocking plus tank size, filtration, etc will need to be taken into account. Might be easier for the sake of the existing fish to take them back.

Kind of late to suggest doing research before making additions...
The usual advice is that a larger number of danios will help disperse aggression, however, the current stocking plus tank size, filtration, etc will need to be taken into account. Might be easier for the sake of the existing fish to take them back.

I took them out ... Gourami is now swimming from corner to corner but he is swimming more

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom