Behavior question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracie6283

Aquarium Advice Freak
So we recently bought a bicolor regal male and his mate and a baensch cichlid. I could be way off on the spelling. Anyway the baensch has basically claimed the tank and ignores all the other cichlids in there. Except the bicolor. He chases him around the tank, gets right next to him nd does the cichlid flare and just follows him everywhere. Gets him in the corner and basically stares him down. We've rearranged the tank and done a pwc. What else can I do? Is this normal???

55 gal and we have a couple yellow labs, one little johanni, 3 baby red empress, blue ahli and a couple others I don't know the name

The first is the bully.

Attachments

• image-295895961.jpg
    image-295895961.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1967980770.jpg
    image-1967980770.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 112
Well your stocking list is way off, the tank is to small for haps like the empress and ahli, mixing mbuna with peacocks and haps is also a recipe for disaster. But aggression between african fish is not uncommon, as long as the fish is not being hurt or prevented from eating then keep an eye out for further aggression. Malawi cichlids do not have mates they are harem breeders that will breed will any other mouthbrooder, having two male peacocks and one female is going to be a issue. There's a reason you either stock all males or a ratio of one male to four/five females to reduce aggression. You really need to give some thought on a tank upgrade or rehoming fish. They are simply not compatible long term. With those pictures do not show very many individual territories.

Back
Top Bottom