Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm bidding on some heaters tonight and picking up 2 used maxi jet 1200's tonight for the mixing station and QT tank. I should have my uniseals by Saturday so I hope to get the new ro storage and mixing station all done this weekend.

haha that is nice they are very cool looking. The BTA looks like its doing well, how are the other corals doing?

which heaters did you decide to go with? are you going to give the no name a chance?

I kinda' went in the middle and won a lot of 2 aqua top 100w heaters for $21 with free shipping. So the ones you recommended and they were dirt cheap lol. One will go in the mixing station and the other will go in a future QT tank. All I need to do is get a sponge filter for it and I should have that together soon. The sick chromis worried me and I need to be playing it safer. Same with the goby death... I need a top before I get anything else. I should have ordered some of that netting when I bought those uniseals this week to save on shipping.

The RTBA and the frogspawn are doing well. I'm not sure if the candy cane is going to make it. It's really closed up tight and I haven't seen it open yet. It's a little above mid level and a medium to low flow area.

grab a little food & a turkey baster & blast some food in front of the candy cane so the flow will bring it to it. mine opened up like crazy the very first time I fed my tank & have been doing amazing ever since. it's literally doubled in size in a month

grab a little food & a turkey baster & blast some food in front of the candy cane so the flow will bring it to it. mine opened up like crazy the very first time I fed my tank & have been doing amazing ever since. it's literally doubled in size in a month

Thanks I tried this morning without much luck. I'll try again on Saturday.

I picked up the 2 1200s off CL today for $15, some PVC parts from Lowe's and the uniseals just arrived from BRS. I have stopped going to HD for plumbing. They never have what I need and Lowe's seems to have twice the selection HD does in general. HD doesn't even sell 3/4" check valves. I should be rocking this out soon!

I've got poly in my HOB sump/fuge for the GF's 29G Long. It polishes the water just as well as the filtersock I've DIYed onto my cube so I don't see the problem.

Yeah it seems like it's just not a popular thing for SW but for the money I'm thinking about reconfiguring my 1st chamber of the sump and just going with the polyfill.

So right after buying the 1200s this week for the mixing station, a local reefer decided to part out his tank and get out of the hobby. I picked up 2 koralia hydor 750s. So I think I'm going to use the Aqueon power head in the mixing station now. We'll see. The 750s are SUPER quiet... I'm really happy with them at the moment.

He had a lot of other stuff he just wanted to get rid of so I got all of his rock... probably about 20#-30# more. And when pulling out a larger piece there was a huge kenya tree on the back! He said I could have it. I wasn't really prepared to bring that home or acclimate it so I hope it will survive the shock of the transport. The rock has tons of great coraline algae on them.

I have stuffed the refugium and put the remaineder of the rock in the tank. I may have to sell a few pieces as it's crowded now. We'll see. I might try and put one of the bigger pieces in the refugium and more of the smaller stuff around the tank.

I have picked up a lot of life now and need to inspect everything closely over the next few days as I have some hitch hikers for sure. I'm pretty sure that one piece has some aptasia but the heads are all near the tubes on the rock so I'm not 100%. I also have this starfish looking thing that is about the size of a dime or a bit smaller. Anyone know what that is?

stock-022.jpg

sump-032.jpg

unknown-001.jpg

unknown-002.jpg

I think I owe everyone a FTS by now. I still can't get the color right with the Nikon... I need to take some time and figure out the best setting. Not that the RBTA is pissed... he's moved from rock to rock trying to find a good flow and now I added 2 new power heads lol. He's hiding dead center and I think he's pinned now. I'd like to get him up fron on his own rock toward the bottom eventually. The tank raised clowns haven't given him a second look.

tank-010.jpg

I finally got a shot of the fish. They move way too much to get a clean shot but I'm getting the hang of it I think.

stock-023.jpg

mrbee2828 said:
I'm pretty sure at one point he said "oh there are some polyps on this one" but I wasn't sure. I'm just going to monitor them.... I got all that rock with the tree for $40.. $2 a # :)

That's a great price. The coral alone are half the price.

The starfish is an asternia- nice to have a few. Tank looks great. You'll love the 750's

I would say those pics are polyps. Not aiptasia. Great color btw.

Back
Top Bottom