Bent back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dxbeast8508

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think my fish may have a bent back. I lost 4 fish about two months ago mysteriously. My water params are fine, and they were when I lost my 4 a couple months ago. All the fish in my main tank are mollies. The 4 that died, died within a week to each other. They all started getting this bent look to them before they died. After I lost them my tank seemed to take a turn for the better and the 4 fish I had left seen to get along fine and do really well. But it seems as though this sloping back has come back and I'm afraid I'm going to start losing fish again. Any idea what this might be? I do water changes every week, at least 30%. Usually more. There are some pictures, sorry kinda blurry.

Attachments

• image-3845643156.jpg
    image-3845643156.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2984987434.jpg
    image-2984987434.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 75
Oh and there seems to be no other signs of anything except being lethargic. Scales fine, no discoloration, good gills. She also seems to be thinning and she used to be a very healthy breeder. I am not use to seeing her so skinny.

I've had a few platys do that as well, and they dies shortly after. I'd like to know what the cause is too..

Can anyone help us on this one? I woke up this morning to find her stuck to the filter intake. So as I assumed, she died. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the rest of my fish to this. I was reading somewhere it could be fish tb, but I think that is highly unlikely. I also have a 24 watt uv sterilizer on a 36 gallon tank. So I would think that if there were any free floating parasites that this would clear them out, but in not entirely sure. I'm just stumped how 4 fish died months ago and is just now affecting the rest. Thinning and sloping back seem to be the only symptoms.

Oceangirl said:
Symptoms in fish

The main symptoms of fish tuberculosis are loss of scales, loss of color, lesions on the body, wasting, and skeletal deformities such as curved spines.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2012/04/tb-in-fish-mycobacterium-tuberculosis.html

I had a fish live for 4 years with a spine curve from TB. this website has a treatment plan.

Did you ever worry about getting the rash on yourself? I'm a little worried about that myself. I have been doing extra water changes to try and keep the rest of the fish healthy as possible. They look fine, but it didn't take long for them to start dropping like flies before. Thanks for the website info!!!

I think I actually possibly got Ich on me once, I was very busy working. It went away. Have you been having a rash?

Oceangirl said:
I think I actually possibly got Ich on me once, I was very busy working. It went away. Have you been having a rash?

No, no rash or anything. I just worry about it if it is tb that is killing all my fish. I don't know. I have fry in that tank as well and they are doing okay. I hope it is just coincidence that they all had a sloping back and got skinny when they were going to die. :/ probably is something, just don't know what.

Partial water change

I'd test your tap water, and do water changes every day for a week. Maybe your tap has changed? I remember a senior member whose motto is when in doubt do a water change. I have been having a problem myself with a pepper cory, not eating strange white bump. Did a 50 %, waited 24 did a 25 %, eating and swimming like a champ. I then realized once he calmed down enough, he had no whiskers!! once he settled and cuddled up with another he had two little stubs for whiskers!! where are my old one have them long enough to touch the sand!! plenty of clean water, tenacious gravel/sand cleaning. He'll be better in no time! I'd clean like crazy for a while, then and only then i'd try melafix and pimafix. Great stuff for my mollies, had cotton mouth. 1 week and all gone, will kill all BB in your tank so consider wisely! Lifeguard is another option will kill all BB, and may injure some fish. you could move a few healthy fish and your filter media to another tank and then treat sick ones or move the sick fish. Any medicine can and will screw up your balance.

i'd look into both TB and NTD (neon tetra disease)

NTD is called this purely because of the first fish it was discovered in, do not dismiss it because you have no neons.

funny thing is, diagnosis is very similar for both tb and ntd - down side is NTD has no cure, just have to QT and euthanise.

Back
Top Bottom