Bent spine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have an orange zebra danio that has a weird spine thing going on that I'm curious about. I've found lots of info online about bent spines but it all seems to be about a hump on the back type bend. This guy has more of a horizontal bend. What I mean by that is that if you were to look down at him from the top rather than seeing him as a straight line he's more of a Z shape. He swims around and eats and all that and he's actually been like this for a while I was just curious if anyone had thoughts on what it was. Only thing I can think of is that maybe at one point in his life he got pinched between a net and the glass or something like that.

It could be a birth defect or an injury. I don't know if this would be of any real comparison or not, but I used to work at a swine farm and if the piglets got there head or body caught under the dividers in the feeders it only took a few hours to be like that before they would become humpback permanantly.

Most likely a birth defect. In my opinion the fish should be culled. If you want to keep it that's fine too, just be responsible and don't let it breed.

If you're talking about the Glofish orange danios, the breeders don't cull many of their defects. The fish are relatively new to the market and are worth too much to cull.

Yeah it's a glofish. he actually died last night due to unrelated issues. I tried using some API algaefix in my tank and within minutes he was on the bottom and my shrimp were acting funny so i did a big water change and he never quite recovered. I'm guessing he had some sort of weakened immune system. He's had the spine thing for like 4 months now and up until the algaefix thing he was eating and swimming just fine.

I do hope it wasn't TB though because I wasn't able to find his body so I think he became a snack :( My reading about TB leads me to believe that usually causes an arch on the back and a slighlty swelled chest which he didn't have.

My hunchback longfin zebra runs the tank, he is alpha schooler. he is about twice the size of a normal zebra danio and about 10x as pissed. He keeps order even with the Tiger Barb's

Dont let em breed, keep em for a pet but thats it.

Back
Top Bottom