Berlin filteration for FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyLLU

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have a Berlin filtration setup for their FOWLR?

What would be benefit of doing it this method versus a standard refugium versus a wet dry?

live rock (in the berlin method) has the ability to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas which none of the other methods do to my understanding. also skimmer will pick up particles tha filter pads etc will not. therefore it should keep your water cleaner with less nitrates meaning less algae and less water changes and benficial to any inverts you may wish to add

Refugiums dont necessarily convert nitrates to nitrogen gas, however, most of us run some form of macro algae in our refugiums. Macro algae grows by literally consuming the nitrates. So all you have to do is physically harvest it. Only reason i dont like the berlin setup for sw is because 1) its too simplistic and doesnt usually offer enough diversity for filtration. And 2) i like that my refugium has a dedicated section for pod growth. Ultimately theres pros and cons to each style of filtration, however i feel that a refugium/sump is the more natural way to go and is in turn a bit more stable

But if you're just doin a FOWLR shouldn't this be good enough?

It prob would be sufficient, but why even bother putting something under the tank when theres far more efficient styles out there that would be better? And they really dont cost anymore than a berlin

No reason not to do both. The protein skimmer is the first line of defense. Live rock takes up the slack. A refuge acts as a additional nitrogen absorber and home for pods. They all can work together fine.

Back
Top Bottom