Bert's 30G Planted adventure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But worried about my AR mini. Seems to be rotting at the stem. It's a tissue culture plant is there something I should have done before I added it? I rinsed off all the gel it came in.
Hoping it recovers.

Not sure mate. Never had tissue cultures before. Wouldn't have thought so though. Any chance you may have damaged the stems when planting? Other than that I'd say just give them time. Should get roots at the next node up. Never kept AR mini though so not the best person to give advice on this plant.

Not sure mate. Never had tissue cultures before. Wouldn't have thought so though. Any chance you may have damaged the stems when planting? Other than that I'd say just give them time. Should get roots at the next node up. Never kept AR mini though so not the best person to give advice on this plant.

I'm sure they will be fine in just nervous because they were so hard to get!
In a happy place with my tank atm. It's good.

Changing my lighting today. Going back to 75% from 90 but no longer going to ramp it up in the first 2 hours. Will be 6 hours at 75 then ramp down to 0 over the last 2 hours. Interesting to see what effect this will have on algae and the plants

Changing my lighting today. Going back to 75% from 90 but no longer going to ramp it up in the first 2 hours. Will be 6 hours at 75 then ramp down to 0 over the last 2 hours. Interesting to see what effect this will have on algae and the plants

I imagine it will be a good one. I haven't seen the data myself but some (I'll see if I can find a thing) believe that the plants slow down photosynthesis after 8 hours so decreasing light should fall in line with this and will ensure that what co2 is left (I assume you switch it off 1-2 hours before the lights?) should be enough.

I imagine it will be a good one. I haven't seen the data myself but some (I'll see if I can find a thing) believe that the plants slow down photosynthesis after 8 hours so decreasing light should fall in line with this and will ensure that what co2 is left (I assume you switch it off 1-2 hours before the lights?) should be enough.

Yep co2 turns off an hour before lights out so it should be down to about 40% light strength by the time the co2 turns off.

I'm thinking this could be the issue with my reds aswell. The fact that they only get 4 hours of full intense light at the moment so jumping to 6 might give them a lift.

Since I went from 75-90% strength BBA has appeared again and I tend to get some green fuzz around the heater and spray bar. When I was at 75% I had no algae at all so I'm thinking that will be my optimal number for a health tank and they will get as much light but not as intense if I extend to 6 hours of full lighting.

So I've been questioning myself laterly about if I have enough of everything and I feel the answer is no. After doing some research I've decided that I'm a little low on co2, very low on phosphates and maybe a little low on nitrate.

I changed my dosing yesterday to 4x as much phosphate and an extra 1/2 of nitrate and pushed the co2 a little harder.

The effect of the phosphates is noticeable even after 24hours. The inside of my spray bar that was covered with green spots is now completely clean.

Still have some BBA to clear up with excel dosing but all and all plants are looking good.

So I've been questioning myself laterly about if I have enough of everything and I feel the answer is no. After doing some research I've decided that I'm a little low on co2, very low on phosphates and maybe a little low on nitrate.

I changed my dosing yesterday to 4x as much phosphate and an extra 1/2 of nitrate and pushed the co2 a little harder.

The effect of the phosphates is noticeable even after 24hours. The inside of my spray bar that was covered with green spots is now completely clean.

Still have some BBA to clear up with excel dosing but all and all plants are looking good.

Very interesting regarding the GSA. Seems to work a treat. Things just keep improving eh?

Very interesting regarding the GSA. Seems to work a treat. Things just keep improving eh?

Very much so. Now that I sort of understand what I'm doing I must say it's becoming a lot easier to maintain a decent tank.

I just want more and more plants haha id love to get another 120g and set that up as a planted. Imagine what I could do with that kind of room!

Very much so. Now that I sort of understand what I'm doing I must say it's becoming a lot easier to maintain a decent tank.

I just want more and more plants haha id love to get another 120g and set that up as a planted. Imagine what I could do with that kind of room!

Haha yeah. I'm just glad I've got something I can maintain a lot easier. The though of having a 120g[emoji21] haha.

I'm bored already now just waiting for the plants to grow. I need to have a look for some more.

Glad things have panned out for you and you are finding it easier.

Haha yeah. I'm just glad I've got something I can maintain a lot easier. The though of having a 120g[emoji21] haha.

I'm bored already now just waiting for the plants to grow. I need to have a look for some more.

Glad things have panned out for you and you are finding it easier.

I'm currently in the same boat waiting for everything to grow out. I won't have to have a big trim for atleast 3 weeks :( makes it a very hands off project and I'm a more hands on kind of person haha

My AR mini is starting to shoot some roots though so I think there adjusting nicely.

The stems over the back are getting very very thick (almost at a 1cm thick) I've lopped the top off the 2 biggest ones to try and get some smaller shoots I can replant. The growth rate of these things is crazy!

So still waiting for my tank to grow out but I do have a question for you guys. I brought my ludwigi in ruff shape (got it cheap) and the new growth is looking really good but I was wondering if it would be beneficial if I cut off old the old crappy looking leaves?
Will this make the plant focus more on new growth?
I'd only be taking the bottom to half way up the stem.

This is what they look like currentlyIMG_1479687923.692862.jpg

So since upping my phosphates by 4x what I was dosing, pushing the co2 abit more and dosing another half dose of nitrates I have noticed the following things.

In 5 days:
AR mini has doubled its size and is sprouting strong roots.
ST repens have doubled in size and have gone a vibrant green.
GSA has not been seen anywhere in the tank at all.
Spray bar is staying as clean as it ever has.

Overall I'd say by doing this it has nothing but improved my tank conditions.
Very happy with the results so far.

BBA is still lerking but I've been zapping it so hopefully it clears up soon.

Few pics of the tank as its sitting today. Still waiting for more growth.
Repens and AR are almost big enough to lop the tops off and replant.

Sigh... Filling tanks out is so boring. ;)
IMG_1479975693.574720.jpgIMG_1479975750.925771.jpgIMG_1479975776.592701.jpg IMG_1479975792.778592.jpg

Thanks guys :) in trying to be patient but it's very hard not to fiddle with it. Hopefully will get to trim next weekend :)

Made abit of an ornament out of some pipe and a rectangle pot about a week or so ago. It's for the 120g, it will provide a hiding place for my Texas cichlid as he tends to try and hide under my spray bar.( the reason for the height)
Also a cave underneath or either my pleco or the jack dempsy :).

The front will be covered by a piece of driftwood and the red pot will be completely covered over with gravel substrate.

Doesn't look like much at the moment but I think once it's scaped in it should look good :)

IMG_1480225950.355646.jpgIMG_1480225976.423150.jpg

Stay tuned for new scape ;)

Back
Top Bottom