Best Algae Eaters/Clean Up Crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had and still have a horrible algae outbreak in my Biocube 29 and I know it's partly from my neglect and that I don't have a good cleaning crew. I need some suggestions on some good cleaners, like the best crabs and snails from anyone's experience. Fish too if there are any. Thanks.

What kind of algae do you have? Hair? Cyano? How long has the tank been up? Algae is from too many nutrients, so how much do you feed and what's your stock? What are your water parameters? Jut getting a CUC won't solve it if you don't figure out the causes.

What kind of algae do you have? Hair? Cyano? How long has the tank been up? Algae is from too many nutrients, so how much do you feed and what's your stock? What are your water parameters? Jut getting a CUC won't solve it if you don't figure out the causes.

It's hair, I feed every other day, I know the rest of the params everything else are bad and I'm handling (basically I know the causes) everything else I'm just trying to help it with some natural ways too like a fish or inverts.

New addition to my cuc. A sea hare there suppose to be the best and fastes algae eaters out there

Turbos and banded trochus will eat hair algae. A lawnmower blenny might, but it's not a guarantee.

I love my starry, but he doesn't ever really eat algae or pick at the rocks that I've seen. He's a great fish, though and super cool. My starry loves bloodworms as a treat, eats mysis, brine and algae sheets. He's a big guy, about 4 1/2-5", so he eats good. Haha

Best way I found to get rid of hair is when you have taken some tank water out when doing a wc keep it next to tank. Get a jug with fresh water in and keep next to tank aswell, then before you do any more of the wc start removing the algae but pinching it with two fingers and removing it from tank into the old tank water, then rinse fingers in fresh water so none of algae on fingers still and do this till u get it all. Then after finish of wc. Should get rid of it fast as cuc won't touch the algae if its long as only really like the new bits that grow, the cuc should then keep it at bay

Alright so blue leg hermits, turbo snails, and pinch off the big stuff and put into a bucket. Thanks guys! And whoever said emerald crab, wouldn't they try to eat my fish? I had problems with hermits eating them sooo...

Alright so blue leg hermits, turbo snails, and pinch off the big stuff and put into a bucket. Thanks guys! And whoever said emerald crab, wouldn't they try to eat my fish? I had problems with hermits eating them sooo...

Never had a problem with emeralds they get in between corals and hard to get places. If you have hair algae they will go for that and keep picking we're it starts backup.any crab will take free food if a fish dies there on it. Not necessary killing them.

Never had a problem with emeralds they get in between corals and hard to get places. If you have hair algae they will go for that and keep picking we're it starts backup.any crab will take free food if a fish dies there on it. Not necessary killing them.

Alright so a few of the blue leg hermits, an emerald crab, and turbo snails. Good?

I would bet it if from your water. Tap water will do that and possible the bottled water as well. Some LFS use RO water and not RODI water. You may think about changing where you vet your water.

I would bet it if from your water. Tap water will do that and possible the bottled water as well. Some LFS use RO water and not RODI water. You may think about changing where you vet your water.

Mine uses RODI, I'm willing to bet it's the tap water.

Back
Top Bottom