Best artifical salt mix oppinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greenmaji said:
Now that it has happened.. what peramiters would you suggest testing when a new bucket or bag of salt is opened?
any of the heavy metals?

I pity my fish much more than myself, but I did learn a valuable lesson. PH, Alk, calcium and if they are in line with what I normally have I feel very safe. I do the first few water changes of a new bucket this way. I do not test for heavy metals, and personally believe (through no experimentation of my own) that the "toxic heavy metal" bandwagon of a few years ago was a dangerous overstatement. As with other testing, it fell short of a true scientific test involving replication and tests on other species to determine if it was indeed a valid problem. Essentially, it remains a hypothesis (if we are both talking about the Shimek experiment on urchin larvae).

Royal Gramma said:
May I ask how long ago was that? Has the system possibly improved by now?

Greenmaji,

I finally mixed my pwc water yesterday morning and got up this morning and tested my CA on the Tropic Marin... I was not impressed with the 310 I got. I didn't get to test PH or Alk, I will do that when I get back home tonight. I used A Profi Salifert CA test kit. I do have my tank at 420 through Kalkwasser dosing, but that was indeed an unimpressive CA reading.

The system is finally what I consider stable and moving forward again, even though I knew it would not be quick it was a year full of thoughts about tearing it down and starting over. However, I also learned (rather anecdotally) that I believe a sandbed can recover from what is often labeled "old tank syndrome" through better husbandry (replenishing microlife, improving export, etc.).

In regards to your calcium levels RG, I would not be disappointed with your 310 reading. Its important to realize that there are many target number by various hobbyists and that there may be variables such as calcium in tapwater (yes, some folks don't use strictly RO) that makes it safer to provide a stable, reliable reading and to allow aquarists to buffer as they see fit. From a buffering standpoint, it is probably the easiest to do while maintaining equilibrium everywhere else (as opposed to the yo-yo that can occur while trying to balanced out alk and PH, etc.)

Recently, the trend to push the "best" calcium level has steadily been rising to levels of 450ppm or so where it was not so high a few years ago. I find this to be another bandwagon tendency. There really isn't any scientific evidence proving that boosting calcium far higher than NSW(natural saltwater) levels does anything to increase calcification so really I don't see the benefit of wanting or boosting it so high other than getting it close to precipitating out of solution. Really analyze the hobby and you will find that if you anecdotally report a benefit from just about anything, you can really steamroll a trend online (also see the recent price gouging of <insert extreme sarcasm> "rare" Acans0. Its one of the only unfortunate downsides from us all meeting and sharing in such large numbers.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr2002/chem.htm

This is an good read on calcification and its relation to calcium levels in aquaria (some chemistry, which is over my head but it also has a good info throughout and a review of the implication on water chemistry at the bottom for those of us that don't need to know the extreme nuts and bolts of it all with the formulas). The exact "whys" of the ineffectiveness of raised calcium levels on calcification is unknown, but I find it to be a reasonable observation.

I was actually thinking of stromium or other "good" heavy metals that your coarls might need.. but sure I can see were that wouldnt be much of a consern..
and yes Ive seen his artical.. and went to his forum to see the replys he made about his artical and I was not impressed at all.. thanks for the info. Hoops.. :p

greenmaji said:
I was actually thinking of stromium or other "good" heavy metals that your coarls might need.. but sure I can see were that wouldnt be much of a consern..
and yes Ive seen his artical.. and went to his forum to see the replys he made about his artical and I was not impressed at all.. thanks for the info. Hoops.. :p

Ah....boy did I go off on a wrong tangent then :lol: Well, my opinion on that is short I suppose...with frequent water changes, I don't think any of the trace element levels in the different salt mixes would be much of a factor. Honestly, over the past 4 years I have been surfing the fishy net, I have only ever seen negative comments about any salt mixes in regards to consistency of what they produce. Like many other areas of the hobby (salinity, temperature, etc.) stability seems to be the most important.

fund our on study?
All I know is my house is out, I get in trouble these days just for having to setup the QT temporarily on the kitchen countertop :p

:p
your house is out? :p Yea. if your getting in trouble with your QT.. :p
doest someone have a full set of set of Salifert Test Kits? If so.. maybe we could give that person a hand with testing costs.. LOL :p

eya, im in the same boat with the qt thing. i wanted a nano for just mushrooms and my wife hit the wall. "you just got that d#*n thing and now you want another".

My wife asked why I need another tank. I asked why she needs another pair of shoes. That was the end of that... I'm getting my Mantis Nano. :D

Advanced Aquarist's Onine magazine published part I of II of a 30 page study on artifical salt mixes yesterday.. well today for me.. LOL
the study was more of a reaction to the Shimek experiment on urchin larvae..
Im going to give it a read soon.. but I just found the link so I thought I would share..
this was a wild thread.. maybe this might give it some new life.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1

greenmaji said:
Advanced Aquarist's Onine magazine published part I of II of a 30 page study on artifical salt mixes yesterday.. well today for me.. LOL
the study was more of a reaction to the Shimek experiment on urchin larvae..
Im going to give it a read soon.. but I just found the link so I thought I would share..
this was a wild thread.. maybe this might give it some new life.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1

Well, it seems as though the outcome is that a third independent test would be required since the numbers essentially refute the test by Shimek (frankly it doesn't surprise me, but that is 100% my opinion only).

runway1 said:
NEW PRODUCT: Oceanpure.

Excellent reading all around and my corals love it.

Indeed, lots of good words on this salt, although it is not yet available in many parts of the country, including my own. "My corals love it" though is pretty subjective, I would like to see some data if you could provide it.

Namely:
Calcium
Alkalinity
Magnesium
PH

It would also help to know your batch number if you can find it on the bucket/bag, it should look similar to this SF5-17Y....and also the brand of test kits you used. The salt itself is probably good in makeup like other salts...the main concern for a new salt (relatively speaking, I know this salt has been out for a year or so) is consistency.

HoopsGuru, I agree. I started a thread weeks back trying to focus on salt consistency rather than somebody's recent testing and I didn't get much response as everybody simply posted their salt preference.

I'm currrently using Hagen test kits and Salifert for pH. As my Hagens run out, I'm switching to the Saliferts for now.
Ca: 480
Kh: Problem here...one batch at 10 and another at 5! Same bag!!
Mg: Not tested :oops:
pH: 8.2

I saw runaway's earlier thread and agree with his statment. I may start a second poll. You prefer Ford or Chevrolet :)

runway1 said:
HoopsGuru, I agree. I started a thread weeks back trying to focus on salt consistency rather than somebody's recent testing and I didn't get much response as everybody simply posted their salt preference.

I'm currrently using Hagen test kits and Salifert for pH. As my Hagens run out, I'm switching to the Saliferts for now.
Ca: 480
Kh: Problem here...one batch at 10 and another at 5! Same bag!!
Mg: Not tested :oops:
pH: 8.2

Indeed, I'd venture a guess that most people don't test any of these parameters at all. I've got posted results of someone else using Oceanpure and they are at 35ppm:

pH 7.85
Calcium 530
Alk 8.1 dkh
Mag 1320

Taken from batch #: SF4-15Y

PH seems quite a bit different, calcium is close, and if you average your alk readings it is very similar :lol: . So, does this show potential inconsistency? IMO, it is way too tough to create an opinion because of the obvious factors of user error, different test kits (as proven in the article posted above where hobby test kits were unreliable), potentially different source waters, etc.

And hence why the hobby is so stinkin' hard to make choices sometimes, but also on the flip side a good example why it may not be important to search for holy grails (find a salt you like and stick to it!).

so, what is the latest on Oceanpure salt mix? good? bad? My LFS sells it $8/50g, half of the price of IO. I need salt soon. I switched to Oceanic from IO six months ago. I am not too happy with Oceanic, most of my Coral Algae on back glass are gone but the coral are growing a lot. Thx

Hey friends from Southern Cali, my brother uses Catalina water from his LFS in Burbank. Any experience with catalina water and any drawbacks?

Thanks.

It kiind of scares me that in 8 pages I think I only saw one number for salinity! The levels of all of the elements will be different depending on how much salt is being used. Remember, to get the salt level up you have to add more salt mix which in turn will add more of the other elements. I imagine this to be a very slight difference since most everyone here mixes close to the same salinity, but just the fact that it is not being considered shocks me a little. Seriously, not casting any negatives, I just expected this to be a bigger part of the discussion.

One other thing, I have heard and been told that changing salt mixes is very dangerous if not done correctly. I know this is hearsay, but changes not just in elemental levels but the types of elements can be significant. Calcium from one brand may be chemically different than calcium from another so be careful and change over slowly or you might get burned, your corals and inverts too. JMHO! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom