Best bang for your buck canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to get rid of my HOBs on a 40B which has a whisper 40, rena smartfilter 55 and an aquaclear70. Heavily planted and overstocked

I will be buying two of them if the CFS is a good filter. I didn't notice but does this use trays or just sponges like the larger versions?
external_canister_filter_cfs1200.jpg

I'm looking at this: Odyssea CFS 500 GPH Canister Filter External Aquarium Freshwater Marine 75 100 g | eBay

Since I've been wanting to just get an FX5 and once I upgrade to a 150+gal tank it would transfer just fine.

So what products would some of you recommend?

Ok so this only uses sponges then with no trays/compartments? The xp3 is a tray system.

How would you go about adding bioballs or ceramics? This ebay item seems to only come with filter and white sponge not a third black not course pad.

Would this be an effective filter at all? I know 59$ is super cheap for the capacity and flow but will it actually let bio bacteria to propagate well. Or I guess more to the point, will it easily take the place of all my hobs?

Or should I look into something like the http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jebao-304-A...?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_2766wt_1163

Ok I'm going to get either the CFS 500 or the Jebao 304, pretty much same price which would be the best bet for optimal filtration?

I believe the rena is on sale at Dr foster and smith. I don't know anything aboit the ones your asking about. If it was me I'd go for one that has trays

I got an amazing deal on a Penn plax cascade 1500 canister filter off of amazon.com it seemed to have similar specs as the fx5 but much more affordable. It has 5 trays in it and cycles 1500 gph. I am still cycling my 150 gallon so I guess we will see how things play out when I start stocking the tank. If it doesnt get the job done I will add another filter. I'd look into it though if you haven't already purchased

$140 plus prime shipping is awesome. Just don't have that kind of cash to spend at the moment. Wanting something for right now to rid me of HOBs. I can grab one of those down the line but do you think the 304 will be sufficient for my 40b?

Also another big reason for removing HOBs is to let my dwarf baby tears take over the water surface like all my other tanks.

cyris69 said:
$140 plus prime shipping is awesome. Just don't have that kind of cash to spend at the moment. Wanting something for right now to rid me of HOBs. I can grab one of those down the line but do you think the 304 will be sufficient for my 40b?

The fluval 304 should be enough

Filtration and lighting are two things I've learned NOT to skimp on. IMO as long as the HOB's are doing their job properly (ie. not broken), Then wait and save your money until you can buy a canister that is worth investing in. Otherwise you're just throwing your money away on sub-par equipment... :\

So I'll second Andrew on the Fluval models. Excellent canisters that won't disappoint.

I went with Rena canisters

My 135 gal L is not set up yet (still finishing the stand and purchasing items for it, but after a lot of research I picked up two Rena canisters, an XP3 and an XP4. Ordered from Amazon before the 15th so no tax, and since my company is a prime member, free shipping too. I will post more when I get them set up in the tank. (Hat tip to Andrew McFadden for his help.)

Rena X-P's are great filters. You will really like the ease of maintenance (y) I am currently using 7 of them, some as old as 12 yrs. Never a problem!!

Back
Top Bottom