Best/brightest bulb for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abelman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would appreciate some guidance as to what type of flourescent bulb I should purchase to replace the original 40w 48" T12 (GE) bulb that came with my 72 gallon bow front tank (with a one bulb hood). I asked at my LFS for a comparably bright bulb, that would best enhance the appearance of my freshwater fish (red parrots, spotted puffers, clown loaches, etc.), and they suggested I get a "Reef Sun 50/50" bulb, since it would be the brightest for my tank. (My tank does not have live plants.) When I tried that bulb, it clearly did not light up my tank as well as my original bulb - the tank appeared much dimmer and the colors of my fish were less enhanced. Hence, I would appreciate your advice as to what type (and brand) of bulb would be best suited for my needs (freshwater/no plants) and interests (brightest/color enhancing).
Also, can you tell me if it should make a difference if I would replace a T12 bulb with a T8 bulb?

thanks for your help.

Check out Home Depot for a 48 in Phillips Daylight Deluxe bulb. They are 6700K temp range and very cheap.

T8s typically output a bit more light than a T12 to my knowledge.

T8/T12 refers to the diameter of the bulb. T8 is 8 - 8ths in (1 in). T12 is 12 - 8ths in (1.5 in). My understanding is that the smaller bulbs will somehow have more of their light reflected to the water - but give off the same amount of light.

Thanks for your suggestions, the verdict is in ...

I tried out every 48" T12 at Home Depot, as well as some higher priced ones recommended at my LFS, and I found the Philips Daylight Deluxe to be the brightest and most color-enhancing for my fish. (I do not have any live plants.) The bulb is a 40w, 2325 lumens, 6500k and costs $5.49 at HD.

Thanks for the tip, Grimlock.

Back
Top Bottom