Best C02 diffusion method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudraker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am finally going to upgrade my medium light planted tank from DIY CO2 to a regulated system and am looking for opinions on the best method of diffusion.

I am receiving this for Christmas http://www.aquariumguys.com/milwaukee-co2-regulator.html (Its lost in the mail but my husband swears its on the way…).

Right now I have two 2-liter pop bottles running through standard tubing and diffuse with cigarette filters.

It is a freshwater 30 gallon Oceanic cube. 100 watt compact florescent light and its topless.
I know I could probably improve my C02 levels with a tight top, but I really like the look and convenience of no lid or cover.

Substrate is 2 inches of standard aquarium gravel and one 20 pound bag of eco complete.
It was set up as a very successful lowlight tank for about 3 years. I started gradually started moving towards medium light last April.

Filtration: 2211 classic Ehiem, ceramic rings, Eheim sponge filters, and substrat pro.
Also an hang inside whisper, with a small amount of crushed coral and ceramic rings.
No carbon.

I EI dose with dry ferts and Excel as I’ve never been able to get the KH very high with my DIY setup.

0 amonia, 0 nitrites, kno3 20, ph 7.6 GH 7, kh 8.

My tap water kh is 3 and gh is only a 2.

It is heavily planted with repens, bacopa, ludwigia, temple hygro, water wisteria, ocelot sword, DHG, stargrass, a giant banana plant and baby tears that keep getting uprooted.

There is a slight BBA problem on some but not all the plants.

It is stocked with 2 black neons, 3 xrays, a betta, one male swordtail, a 3 inch clown loach, one small unknown, probably a nano rasbora, and two 3+ inch Siamese algae eaters.

I live really far away from LFS sources, so want to diffuse with resources I have at hand.

Here are my possible choices for diffusion that I have in my possession.

I have a glass/ceramic diffuser, a plastic CO2 ladder, a hydor electric co2 diffuser, or I can run it through the Eheim. Opinions?

With a canister filter I would recommend an inline co2 reactor. Search REx Griggs site on google. He has plans to build one from parts from home depot for only a few dollars. Otherwise, the glass diffuser would work just fine.

FYI the lid isn't going to make much of a difference unless it is floating directly on top of the water (which would be a bad idea). More important is that there is not a lot of turbulence on top of the water which would aid in co2 diffusing into the air.

Very nice acquisition.

An inline would be the best diffuser. If you are currently using the glass diffuser, put it under the output of the canister filter to circulate with circulation. I would stop using the whisper HOB filter and just have your output on the canister underneath the surface of the water.

As for the GH problem, you can get some of Tom Barr' GH booster.

Thanks, for the input.

I make my own Barr's right now with dry fertz, because of the extreme softness of my tap water. I've been able to keep it pretty stable 7 with it.

The whisper is a hanginside and its output is under water. I like using it for two reasons. First, it sucks in bigger chunks of debris than the Eheim, and it is super easy to clean. Where the eheim is a chore. Also, I use it to set up hospital/ QT tank in a pinch. I just take out the crushed coral.

I may try an inline later. My budget is nonexistent for now and I'm really tiring of DIY projects at the momemt. Putting the system together will be plenty for me at this time, anyway.

So that's one for the glass difuser, one for up the cannister.

Any other opinions and, importantly, reasons for the advice?

An inline reactor is the best diffusion method. But out of the things you have on hand, the glass diffuser would be my choice and like Chizer said above be sure to place it under the output of the canister. I currently use a glass diffuser and feel it works well.

Two votes for glass under the intake then.

I'm glad you recognized the "what I have onhand" factor. It is important at this junction.

I'm capable of building a pvc inline myself, but I'm definately tapped after Christmas and I live in rural Alaska and "just a few dollars at Lowe's" doesn't exist where I live and most "free shipping" offers don't apply to me. You can just about triple the cost of everything in my town. Not complaining, but explaining reality.

Back
Top Bottom