Best c02 regulator with a 5# c02 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricker999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was looking at the Milwaukee MA957, but keep hearing horror stories about the valve sticking in the open position, killing all the fish. Was going to get the Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller with it... Any advice... Maybe the a different co2 regulator and the Milwaukee pH controller??
Thanks.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've read people's accounts of that problem with the Milwaukee in here also. But I think many in here don't have any issues with it. I guess it's a crap shoot. I see more in here that have the Aqua-Tec with good results. But if you're looking for the "best" as your title says then it's the GLA CO2 systems using the Smith regulator. They are built to order and tested many times and that makes it a very expensive system. OS.

I'm using the Aqutek Premium reg. I've had one of them in use for over a year now with no issues at all. For $79 it's a decent reg.

I just set up my Co2 with a MA957, I'm curious how so many had issues with the needle valve when the directions say to dial in your bubble counter with the main adjustment knob, if you can't reach your desired flow with it then use the needle valve. Does that sound right to anyone here with more experience with Co2? I set mine at 2 bubbles per second with minor tuning on the adj. knob, took like 5 seconds and is still consistent. I'm also curious about others thoughts on the Controller which I have yet to buy.

I saw the GLA's... kinda pricey but might be worth it... Really don't want to loose a tank full of discus...(eventually). Think I'll do one of the GLA's and the Milwaukee pH controller.

Thanks..

I went with a system with the solenoid and timer. LOL I had to calibrate 8 pH probes once every 24 hrs for years at work and log for EPA records. I never want to see another pH probe the rest of my life.

These were at work. An industrial wastewater treatment unit of the steel plant I worked at for 28 yrs. From what I know, all pH probes have to be calibrated periodically. I'm not sure about home aquarium CO2 probes but "no thanks" for me. The industrial probes would get off for all kinds of reasons. OS.

The probes have to be cleaned , calibrated periodically. I used a ph controller for a while, finally went to a timer system, and a co2 indicator. I think it works better. The probes were a PITA:banghead:

Ricker999, I have the Milwaukee regulator and ph controller you are looking at. I don't understand why an adjustment knob or needle valve would stick up open, it is mechanical and would stay open at whatever level it is dialed into.
What they may be referring to is the electric solenoid sticking open, which is the part downstream from the adjustment knob. Mine did that once. It didn't kill any of my fish. My guess is they had the adjustment knob turned up waaaay too high.

Using this forum, someone taught me how to unstick the solenoid. It was super easy. There are instructions on how to do this for all electric solenoids (ie it is not limited to Milwaukee), so I assume it can and does happen with other brands.

An analogy, if you will. Some people drive where they floor the gas pedal and then hit the brake hard. Some people gradually accelerate and maintain a smooth speed. Set the adjustment knob when you get it set up for a reasonable speed, say 2 bubbles per second or something reasonable so that when the electric solenoid is open (ie the brakes are off) that's what you are running at. Don't open up the adjustment knob too fast (like 10, 20 bubbles per second... Haha) and expect the ph controller to shut the electric solenoid down. That would be jackrabbit driving.

Hawkins- when do you adjust the needle valve, say when swapping out the tank? I just hooked my system up with a MA957 and followed the directions to the T after reading all the gas out fish stories! I may be misunderstanding but my interpratation was that you close the needle valve when filling the bubble counter with liquid. Once the regulator has pressure and is pushing at <10psi to open the needle valve completely, and adjust the bubble counter to desired flow using the adjustment knob first, then if needed fine tuning with the needle valve. Did I miss something, cause my needle valve is 100% open and I am at 2 bps... Thanks!

Ricker- sorry to keep hijacking your thread!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394290937.032966.jpg

Okay. In my earlier post, I was using the wrong terms. I will go back and edit it to use the right terms.

E is the adjustment knob.
B is the needle valve

According to how Milwaukee labels them

I think what some people might be doing is opening up adjustment knob too much. I hope that makes sense. The Milwaukee instructions say, on page 1, "only use the needle valve if you cannot get the exact flow from the adjustment knob."

Thanks for clarifying that FOR ME. The Milwaukee terms are all I know as I am just starting out in the world of pressurized Co2! Everything you said rang true to me I was just stuck on the wording... Your analogy of driving is perfect in this scenario! Thanks again!

Following this because I am in the same boat (but leaning toward the Aquatech series). Good info here!
I had an azoo originally but the needle valve was IMPOSSIBLE so I bought an Aquatech which I recently had to get rid of, less than a year old. The PSI keep changing on its own for no reason. I went though 2 5lb co2 tanks in 2 months because of this. It might have been something I did not realizing it or it could have been faulty. Either way, I ended up getting this regulator about two weeks ago.
CarbonDoser Electronic Co2 Regulator
Very happy with it so far, very pricey but I plan on having it for a long time so it will pay for itself.

No problem Plantaholic.... I'm learning a lot reading everyone's response. Still think I'm doing he GLA's...

Back
Top Bottom