Best carpeting plant for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I reeeeaalllyyyyy want a nice carpet plant for my tank and I can't find any am good ones. I like the look of DHG , but I'm not sure if I would like it to cover my whole tank...I also like HC but sadly it doesn't like me :( I will have pretty high light once that I have my 2 TrueLumen 8,000K 48" LED light strips running along with my 2 bulb T5HO fixture running 2 54 watt T5's. Pressurized C02, and soon to be using PPS-Pro fert system. I also like the staurogyne repens plant but have no experience with it. I also want some type of bushy plant to go around the base of my driftwood and have something more compact to cover the rest of the tank. Any ideas?

You might try HC again once you get everything running up to snuff (CO2+light+ferts), especially if you have a rich substrate.

Something that people often forget is that you aren't obligated to use ONE foreground in your tank. For instance, you can use a smaller one up front and a slightly larger one as an accent. I really like HC and S. repens, as the broad, larger leaves of the repens nicely complements the HC. Here's a picture (not mine) or what this looks like.

That one was in DSM at the time, but the morphologies of the two plants are at least similar dry/submerged, so you get the idea.

Another:

That one's thread is probably worth going through for inspiration.

Ohhhhhh yes I like the look of that. I think that once I get all my stuff together on the tank and whatnot and I order my next plant order which I'm planning on getting some Fissidens Fontanus, Pogostemon helferi, S. repens and HC of course. Do you know any good places to buy the plants? Of course I will have to wait until it warms up in the spring to order them though...

Planted Tank is about the only place you'll be able to get all of those reliably, and by that I mean available and shipped well.

Check out Utricularia graminifolia for a carpeting plant. I have HC but I'm considering trying UG. I've read that it doesn't grow as fast so the maintenance in trimming wouldnt be as tedious, especially trying to get all the floating HC netted out of your tank.

I do like the HC and S. Repens idea though. My Hydrocotyle Tripartita sp. Japan carpets fast too.

Back
Top Bottom