Best co2 regulator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of setting up my 55 gal tank, and one of the last pieces I need is a co2 regulator. With the few choices I have seen, I'm not sure what one to get. The azoo, Milwaukee and the aquariumplants regulator. What does everyone recommend for best reliability and accuracy. Also, with the solenoid, how do I hook it up to a timer to turn off at night? Does it have a regular plug to plug into a timer? Or do i have to get a special timer? One more quick question. Does anyone have any tips for finding a few rocks for my tank? Hopefully I will be able to start assembling the tank within the next few weeks. I will try to post some pictures.

Thanks!

I haven't heard much one way or the other about the Azoo regulators. The Milwaukees have a decent reputation and a lot of members here are using them. The "Best" CO2 Regulator from AquariumPlants got very bad reviews from the members here that tried it out. So of the three you listed I'd probably go with Milwaukee since it's got the best track record of the three. I'd also suggest looking at Rex Grigg's custom built regulators. Depending on your needs they can be no more expensive and he builds quality setups.

I suspect that the solenoid will have a 3 prong plug (but could be a 2 prong as well), but nothing more special that. Once you settle on a specific model you can ask around to which that particular model has. It can either be plugged into a timer to turn it off at night or a pH probe to target a specific ph and therefore CO2 level.

I have a Milwaukee MA957 regulator. It comes with a bubble counter and a solenoid (the regulators I've seen at the place where I get my CO2 don't have the bubble counter or solenoid).

I decided between the Milwaukee and the JBJ when I was looking for regulators. I couldn't find anything troublesome about either of them, but it seemed like on this forum and a few others, most of the members had Milwaukee so that's what I got. Also, there would be more people to answer my questions about it! :) I've had it for a little over a year now and I'm very happy with it.

The solenoid on the Milwaukee has a regular 3-prong plug. Make sure your timer can accommodate a 3-prong plug. Some "lamp timers" that you get at the Home Depot don't accommodate that third prong. Plug the solenoid into the timer and then plug the timer into the wall.

I'm on the milwaukee wagon, but that's all I've had. I got mine, including solenoid, needle valve, and bubble counter on ebay for $78. I then later purchased a 3-way splitter w/ needle valves and bubble counters and run 3 tanks off of it. I have had no issues with mine whatsoever, and concur that the solenoid is a 3-prong plug that I plug in to the same timer with my first set of lights that come on in the morning.

OK thanks for the replies! The Milwaukee it is.

No, but considering you get everything you need but the tank, all in all it's a very good deal, and a quality piece of equipment.

I'm actually having some issues w/ my MA957 regulator I just bought. I can't get more than 1 bubble in about 5 seconds in the bubble counter. I don't hear any hissing, though earlier I turned the black knob clockwise to get a greater output pressure, and I did hear hissing then. Earlier today I could get it bubbling like crazy. I put vegetable oil in the bubble counter so it wouldn't evaporate. I do hear the solenoid click on when I plug it in.

A few questions:
1) Would a leak cause me to not be able to get any decent flow out of it?
2) How do I leak check it?
3) It says "Do not use oil" what does this mean, and did I screw up by putting veg oil in the bubble counter?

If you can make it hiss, I think you have a leak. Double check the connections - if you make it hiss with adjusting low side pressure, I'm thinking it is somewhere at or after the bubble counter.

Turn off the tank.

Open the low pressure adjustment and the needle valve all the way.

Open the tank.

It should be making a froth of the liquid in the bubble counter at this point.

(If it isn't, maybe the needle valve is gunked up?)

Screw down the large knob until low side pressure guage is reading like 12 or so.

Adjust needle valve to fine tune flow.

I've jambed up needle valves with just water before, though not so close to my regulator. If it isn't a leak (and the hissing makes me think it is) it might be a needle valve that needs to be cleared.

If you can make it hiss, I think you have a leak. Double check the connections - if you make it hiss with adjusting low side pressure, I'm thinking it is somewhere at or after the bubble counter.

Turn off the tank.

Open the low pressure adjustment and the needle valve all the way.

Open the tank.

It should be making a froth of the liquid in the bubble counter at this point.

(If it isn't, maybe the needle valve is gunked up?)

Screw down the large knob until low side pressure guage is reading like 12 or so.

Adjust needle valve to fine tune flow.

I've jambed up needle valves with just water before, though not so close to my regulator. If it isn't a leak (and the hissing makes me think it is) it might be a needle valve that needs to be cleared.

By, Open the pressure and needle valve all the way, you mean to turn the black knob (pressure valve) all the way clockwise right? this is "open" right? and the needle valve all the way counter clockwise is "open" right?

I thought I read something that said to make sure the pressure valve (black knob) is turned counter-clockwise until there is no resistance to it when you turnthe tank on.

EDIT: Okay I think I fixed my problem, well, maybe it's better to say I figured out that I might not have had a problem to begin with. I got the flow up to about 1 bubble per second, but I have to have the needle valve completely open and the low pressure guage is at 70 psi, does this sound normal? Is there a "normal" with these regs or is it all sort of up to variables.

I can tell I have a lot to learn about getting this regulator stabalized, lots of tinkering ahead of me.

Last edited:
No, that's not normal. Where is the tubing going from the bubble counter? I suspect that you have a kink, or something is preventing the CO2 from travelling freely. Too much backpressure, basically.

I run my low side at 30psi, and can push the bubbles so fast it's a steady stream, not really even bubbles anymore.

Check your connections, make sure your check valve is in the correct way, etc. It sounds like something is preventing the flow.

The Azoo co2 regulator is actually very good and of high quality. The solenoid is very good and doesnt overheat. You can buy one at www.glowcorals.com for only 69 US Dollars. This is the best price you will find one anywhere right now as they are going for 99 to 129 dollars anywhere else

Back
Top Bottom