Best co2 system???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking for a co2 system lately and have found two and I cannot seem to decide. In your opinions wich of the following two is the best.

It will be going on a planted 29 gallon that has dual t5 no 6700K lights on and I dose the entire line of seachem ferts.

I will be adding a 5 lbs cylinder to the set up

Option one
Red Sea Co2 System 500 Kit - SeaQuestMarine.com

or option two
http://www.amazon.ca/Milwaukee-Inst...NWF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360723689&sr=8-1

with a standard glass or ceramic diffuser.

Thanks

+1 with Aquachem. The quality is so much better; easier to build and customize too.

Milwaukee, hands down. What type of filter are you running? If it is a canister, I'd recommend an inline reactor. If you have an HOB you could try a glass/ceramic diffuser (I never had much luck w/ them, always clogs) or even a power head to chop the bubbles up. I had the most luck with a powered reactor in my 30g. I believe it was the Red Sea 500. It is a little unsightly but a bunch of stems covered it up nicely.

Milwaukee, hands down. What type of filter are you running? If it is a canister, I'd recommend an inline reactor. If you have an HOB you could try a glass/ceramic diffuser (I never had much luck w/ them, always clogs) or even a power head to chop the bubbles up. I had the most luck with a powered reactor in my 30g. I believe it was the Red Sea 500. It is a little unsightly but a bunch of stems covered it up nicely.

It's an hob. I'll look into the reactor.

You could try the glass/ceramic diffuser (avoid the ladder types, IMO). Place it directly under the output of your HOB. That way the tiny co2 "mist" will get pushed throughout the tank.

Okay I think I will go with the reactor. However I can't seem to find how it works online.

Edit: can anyone tell me if I have to turn it off at night with the co2 or can it stay on.

I would suggest putting your solenoid on a timer or if you want to go fancy, into a pH controller with probe. The plants won't use CO2 at night so you risk your levels rising and sometimes you'll find your fish gasping at the surface in the mornings. I always ran mine into a timer that would turn the CO2 on about 45 minutes before the lights came on and then shut off the CO2 about 30 minutes before lights out.

One thing I found with my Red sea 500 was that if I turned it off along with the co2, the cyclone didn't always start back up in the morning. No cyclone = no diffusion. If I didn't notice it, I'd just have large co2 bubbles going straight up to the surface. In the end, all I did was keep the reactor on, but just turn off the co2 each night.

That's interesting... I never ran into that problem. Every once in a blue moon a large bubble would escape/overflow. Other than that, it was like clockwork on the timer.

Back
Top Bottom