Best community fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imtcurveball

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite community fish were. I never really had a community tank but im considering setting up a 25 gallon tank. I want to stock it either with smaller cichlids or something else. I already know enough about cichlids.... But need advice about other fish.

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite community fish were. I never really had a community tank but im considering setting up a 25 gallon tank. I want to stock it either with smaller cichlids or something else. I already know enough about cichlids.... But need advice about other fish.

I love my tiger barbs. They follow me around, eat from my hand, and they love to be pet, yes I did say pet. And as long as they are in their school no problems with tankmates.

I love my tiger barbs. They follow me around, eat from my hand, and they love to be pet, yes I did say pet. And as long as they are in their school no problems with tankmates.

How many do you have in the school? Also, what do you have as tank mates? I wanted to get 10 TB for my tank, but was worried about them nipping at the roomies...

How many do you have in the school? Also, what do you have as tank mates? I wanted to get 10 TB for my tank, but was worried about them nipping at the roomies...

What size tank do u have? I have for now but plan to add more. They are in with a 4.5" Striped Rapheal Catfish, 2.5" Green Terror and 2" Tiger Convict. I'm using them as dither in my 55 so that my cichlids don't hide all the time since they are small. And at first they nipped, but after an 1hr or 2 they stopped, so I think it was just curiosity.

What size tank do u have? I have for now but plan to add more. They are in with a 4.5" Striped Rapheal Catfish, 2.5" Green Terror and 2" Tiger Convict. I'm using them as dither in my 55 so that my cichlids don't hide all the time since they are small. And at first they nipped, but after an 1hr or 2 they stopped, so I think it was just curiosity.

I have a 60g tank. The only reason I was going with 10 was because it was recommended to me to control aggression and stop them from nipping at the other fish. Most people just tell me to avoid putting any in the tank altogether...

I was just curious if this was were true, or if they just have a bad rep.

Most batbs are aggressive yes but not Red devil aggressive. You can still add red tail sharks, convict,etc. Things that can hold its own. I wouldn't add a betta or guppy because barbs like to nip. And 10 would be more than enough for a school.

Back
Top Bottom