Best feeding solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd0917

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am the caretaker of an 80 gallon freshwater community tank at my church. It's well established and looks pretty (lots of neon colors for the preschool hallway!!). Anyway, we have a cheapy petco automatic feeder since there is no one there to feed every day. I cannot find a place on the tank where the feeder doesn't get wet. I checked on it last night and the food had liquified in the little cylinder because of the backsplash of water from the filter. Anyone have another solution for a waterproof feeder? Or does anyone have experience with those 14 day pyramid feeders? I'm getting tired of cleaning out moldy (or worse) fish food and I'm sure my fish would appreciate a steady meal schedule!!
:thanks:

If your good is like mine, you shoul be able to easily cut out a slot for it farther away from the filter that is splashing. They often have groves to follow when cutting. You could always try the food you drop in that lasts 14 days or so, but I have a feeling you may have problems with a lot of fish poop harming your water quality.

Feeding Fish

I am the caretaker of an 80 gallon freshwater community tank at my church. It's well established and looks pretty (lots of neon colors for the preschool hallway!!). Anyway, we have a cheapy petco automatic feeder since there is no one there to feed every day. I cannot find a place on the tank where the feeder doesn't get wet. I checked on it last night and the food had liquified in the little cylinder because of the backsplash of water from the filter. Anyone have another solution for a waterproof feeder? Or does anyone have experience with those 14 day pyramid feeders? I'm getting tired of cleaning out moldy (or worse) fish food and I'm sure my fish would appreciate a steady meal schedule!!
:thanks:

Hello cd...

You must have parishioners with some deep pockets to afford to set up and keep up with a tank this size. Anyway, aquarium fish don't need to be fed very often. If you fed them a little when you came to church and again when you were on your way out, that would be plenty. They wouldn't have to be fed until the following week. This routine will keep the fish always foraging for leftovers and the tank would stay clean much longer.

You must have someone besides you, who maintains the tank with water changes and such. That person could easily handle the feeding and routine maintenance just once a week.

Just a thought.

B

Back
Top Bottom