Best ferts, co2, root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also maybe when the 25 gets rolling but that could be a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I found a Milwaukee sms122 ph meter amongst all of this stuff. Do any of you know if they're any good and how they work. Do you just plug the co2 regulator into the front of the ph meter plug?

Yep the solenoid on the regulator plugs into the Meter. You set the meter for the lowest point you want the PH to get( Co2 is acidic and lowers the PH level of the tank as it saturates the water) usually 6.7 or 6.8. Once the tank water hits that PH it shuts off the solenoid and shutting off the flow of Co2. It's a nice little safety check once your Co2 levels are set properly.

Yeah you want to filter it pretty heavily IMO because there will be some plant matter and dead leaves floating around every now and then.

You're doing good though. PPS pro seems a bit outdated; most people make serious modifications based on their tap water and preference, but in general it shortchanges you in potassium and phosphate. This is the original recipe and what I use:

Original:
29.5 grams of K2SO4
32.5 grams of KNO3
3 grams of KH2PO4
20.5 grams of MgSO4

Micros

40 grams of CSM+B

Tweaked:
42 grams of K2SO4
28 grams of KNO3
8 grams of KH2PO4
21 grams of MgSO4

Micros

50 grams of CSM+B

Per 500 ml

Like I said, most people double up on phosphates and dose maybe 25% extra potassium and micros.

Another note, your dosing of magnesium sulfate is just to provide magnesium (duh) but if your GH is high enough (7+) you can leave it out or dose less. My water is very soft so I dose a bit extra, but will dose more like 30 grams per 500 ml when I switch to EI dosing.

Are there better options than pps? O/w I might order it after work tonight.

And also w/ O+ do you guys notice a considerable difference in your rosette plants? If so let me know because I might do a full tear down and rebuild here soon to replace my substrate with something better.

Edit: would it be unwise to mix O+ into my substrate with red clay and other possible powder ferts?

Sorry for chain posting but am on break and keep having ideas I'm overstocked at the moment and was curious if I'd have issues with that and co2 because I might lighten my stock when I do that teardown.

Don't mix too much or you risk burning up the roots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'd probably be fine with all three as long as you don't go overboard. O+ can cause a slight uptick in ammonia so just be aware of that.

I think I should be good with two biowheels my bio filtration is fairly good at least as far as ammonia is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom