Best filter for Planted Tank poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjsuper76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting ready to bring up a 100 gallon planted tank. I'd like input on the best method/type/brand of filters for such a tank.

factors to consider: using combination of black sand and eco-complete for substrate.

plants do not like too much turbulence in the water (?)

lots of small tetras, otos, and some snails will be inhabiting the tank.

(also open to ideas on what to stock in a planted tank.)

thank you

Everyone on these boards will suggest that you either go with an AquaClear HoB filter or a canister filter.

AquaClear filters are superior to others on the market because of how customizable they are. They are also the best filter for seeding with used filter media when cycling a tank because of how much you can fit in the filter media compartment.

I've just recently read on these boards that if you use a higher tech system with CO2, you may want to go with a canister filter instead to reduce the surface agitation. Some other poster with more plant experience will probably comment.

I don't like HOB's on anything larger than 55g. That's just my preference. If you're injecting co2, a canister is a must IMO. You don't have to worry about offgassing co2 because of surface agitation, and you can DIY an inline reactor to get very efficient diffusion. In my 125, I"m running a fluval 305, 405, and rena xp3. I'd recommend any of those filters.

I would look int a wet/dry trickle filter.

Horrible for planted tanks I'm afraid(great for ponds though as that's what I'm running right now), at least ones that use CO2. Go with Two large canisters or on large one like and XF5. Planted tanks need a lot more flow than a regular tank to be honest. Not a whole lot more but enough to have a little water movement everywhere in the tank.

As of filtration sump is the way to go. And you can have power heads for water flow. And you should have power heads regardless

I'd have to vote on the canister filter. I have canisters for all our planted tanks.

And as Jonathan said, if you're using CO2 as well, you want less surface agitation.

I run my CO2 into the intake for my Fluval so that it's saturated into the water by time it hits the return tube. Works wonderfully.

A sump doesn't work in a planted tank. You can't have that much water movement! Water flowing down the overflow in a thin stream and splashing over baffles is going to get rid of any co2 you inject. A 100 gallon tank is going to need an XF5 or two 405s. Or eheim's/sunsun's/rena's equivalent.

Thanks! Looks like the overwhelming majority is for canister filters?

I had a bad experience with a used one I bought, it leaked B A D. You guys dont that that problem? or is a little leakage a fact of life with canisters?

It shouldn't leak at all. I had a canister on my pond for about 6 years with no problems. Then again that thing was built like an autoclave. You probably got one with a bad seal. I always use silicone grease on ALL my gaskets/orings to protect them. The goo also helps keep a seal. It's completely fish and reef and invert safe as well.

I think I would rather get the FX5....cheaper than buying 2 405's and only one canister to clean! I have had some problems with algae blooms recently....what is a good size/type of UV sterilzer to use? Make sense to get an in-line UV unit since I will be running the FX5?

anyone have experience running one specifically with an Fx5?

Grab yourself some fresh willow branches and drop them in the tank (let the leaves hang out you want them to start rooting and soaking up all your nutrients). That'll clear up your green water. Other algaes aren't going to be killed by the UV sterilizer as they aren't free floating.

I'm running 90gal with the Fluval G6 and love it. I back it up with an Emperor 400 HOB but i hang it on the front when doing large maintenance. I have a RO/DI system for my water. Once I make a batch I pour into my tank through my emperor 400 to polish any impurities that may have collected in my storage tank (30gal garbage can).

Philly,

you made the RO/DI system yourself? Can you provide details how to do it? I live close to White Sands, NM....the water here is awful!

+1 For the canister filters. The only thing i'll note is I hate cleaning canister filters. It takes while to pull the thing apart, clean it, then put it back together.

If you can ignore the negative hype, the fluval g6s are getting cheaper on eBay for $250-$300. Still they'll be more $/gallon than the fx5; but cleaning them is a dream. Just watch the little LCD; when it gets to 3/4 flow, twist out the mechanical filter clean it and put it back.

Takes me 6minutes to clean both filters from start to finish.

I bought it from purewaterclub.com. I have the RO/2DI 150gal/daily and it's awesome. I lose less than 1.5 gal to make 1 gal. I bought extra fittings at home depot that don't restrict water flow. I consistently fill a 30gal can for weekly water changes. Turn it on before bed and wake up it's full. I use a circulation pump and heater to match my 90. I use Kent RO/right to buffer the pure water. Good times

Back
Top Bottom