Best filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is belt filter to use in 29 gal I have rite size c cartridges marine land brand it has carbon it it. I have a ten gal with tetra carbon filter Ty fits whisper ex30 ex45 ad ex70. I have 2.5 gal with marina slim filter cartridge bio carb has carbon with ceramic

Personally, I prefer AquaClear filters over any other brand. Tried and true, reliable, parts are easy to get if needed, work well, can use any media you wish, come in several sizes. I have some that are very old and still work great.

You don't need carbon unless tank water stinks, has turned yellow or brown from wood leaching or you have medication in the water that needs to be removed.

Most commercial filter inserts contain carbon, but you can remove it if you wish, just make a small cut in the section where it is and take it out. It is, however, cheaper to buy filter floss, filter sponge and use that instead. If it is not quite the right shape or size to fit, cut the sponge to fit and put floss over it. Sponge lasts almost forever, floss can last many months before it is so beat up you need to replace it.

In AquaClears, you also get a mesh bag of ceramic media. Ceramic media can be several shapes, all of which grow bacteria needed for filtration. Sponge also grows bacteria and you do not have to have both, but many choose to have both.

Always clean filter media in old tank water, so as not to kill the bacteria. Squeeze and swish sponge, floss and ceramics, then replace in filter. No matter what brand of filter you have, you can use any filter sponge and any filter floss in it, instead of the inserts that are made for it.

For a 29G, I'd use a filter designed for at least a 50 G tank, as it is always better to have a bit more than less filtration.

I have two AquaClear 50s on a 29-gallon, but you only really need one. On one of them I have a foam filter and Seachem Matrix bio media, and on the other I have two foam sponges with the ceramic media. They are true workhorses. You can also go with a canister filter if you prefer to keep the filtration system hidden.

David

I have two AquaClear 50s on a 29-gallon, but you only really need one. On one of them I have a foam filter and Seachem Matrix bio media, and on the other I have two foam sponges with the ceramic media. They are true workhorses. You can also go with a canister filter if you prefer to keep the filtration system hidden.

David

+1

Two AC50s on my 29g as well. I added the second when I was thinking of buying a powerhead for increased flow. The filter was the same price and would give me movement just as good as a powerhead with the added filtration, so it was a no-brainer. Each of mine have filter floss, 1 sponge, and 2 bags of bio max.

AquaClear +1 .... but you can "customize" most any brand

I have a 38 gallon setup and am in the process of starting a 29 gallon. After much research, I narrowed it down to the Fluval AquClear 50 vs. the Fluval C3 (yes, both made by the same company) and both use essentially the same filter housing. I ordered the C3 to get the "five stage filtration." Also, Amazon had (and still has) the C3 on sale for $34.07 while the AquaClear 50 is $39.99

Amazon.com: AquaClear 50 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 50 Carbon, AquaClear 50 Foam & AquaClear 50 BioMax: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: fluval c3: Pet Supplies

What I found out from this forum is that while they both use activated carbon, after a month it is worthless and should be replaced with a different level of "bio" filtration such as HBH Aqua-Clear "cut to fit" filter media ...... or even better, Seachem Purigen.

I also ordered the Fluval Edge Pre Filter Sponge with my new C3 ($ 2.99). [I also made the mistake of ordering it with extra activated carbon ..... oh well. only about $3 or so.]

This youtube video is helpful reltative to cut to fit media:

and this thread may be of interest to you where I got some really good advice beginning at post #14:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/fluval-c-carbon-problems-264277-2.html

After reading more about it ...... the AquaClear's "three stage filtration" would have been just fine.

Back
Top Bottom