Best fish? Change fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqauriumfan84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm new to this so bear with me. I inherited a community of large fish along with my 220l tank about 12 months ago. I have a pleco, silver dollar, 4 angel fish, a clown loach, a catfish (possibly a talking catfish) & a bala shark. I did have 3 parrot cichlids and a central American cichlid. I would like to get more, smaller fish in the tank (guppies, tetras, etc) so I traded the parrots and the central American cichlid for 5 neon tetras along with other stuff but within 48hrs all but one of the neons have gone (probably eaten). Could anyone tell me the best species to remove/replace to keep the tank peaceful? I would like to keep the pleco, bala and clown loach though.

Yes neons would be expensive fish food in that aquarium.

What kind of Pleco do you have some top out at ~5 inches but others get to be more tyat a foot long. If your not sure post a picture.

Also it's just me be that sounds like an over stacked tank.

Hope that pic worked, an old one (the parrots are gone) but it's probably about 10-12 inches long. I was thinking of getting rid of all but the three mentioned. The neons seemed to be eaten overnight so is it possible the catfish was the culprit?

ForumRunner_20120706_112525.jpg

To me it looks like a common pleco and as such its not completely grown. Look them up they get REALLY big. It will need a bigger tank. I suggest rehoming it and getting something smaller, like a bristelnose pleco.

I think it could be a number of things in the tank could have eaten the neons. Including the angels, the silver dollar.

Bala sharks get to over a foot as well:
Bala Shark

You are going to have to do some serious rationalization if you want to keep small tetras. I would recommend doing a bit of research on what you have now and deciding what you can keep. The start finding homes for the others and building a stocking list around what you've decided to keep.

OK thanks for the advice. Ill look into stocking with compatible species. My bala is probably already about eight inches and I'm told by the previous owner it is quite an old fish and seems pretty peaceful anyway. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom