best fish food brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this was in a Betta specific
read this about the chemical and further research too your liking
you are responsable for their diet
i didnt deeply reasearch food but am doing so now
other pet foods may also contain this
they say spices can contain them, that would be our food

Ethoxyquin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To conclude, in my opinion the use of ethoxyquin as a preservative in pet foods is indefensible in light of its history as a pesticide and its ban on use in foods intended for humans. Why a company that promotes its products as a healthful alternative for pets chooses to use ethoxyquin as a preservative is beyond me.

well you just bust my bubble, I just read the labels on all my foods and sure enough ethoxyquin is in my flakes and pellets. I know the FDA limits the amounts that can be put in pet foods but I did stop using a brand of cat food in the past due to ethoxyquin use.

Well then I guess I might try new life spectrum again but the last time I used their small fish pellets they sank too fast for some of my fish to get to them. They don't have a flake formula and some of my fish do better going after slower sinking flakes. Most of my fish won't go to the top to get floating foods. :blink:
I am mostly irritated at myself for not paying attention to the preservatives after arguing and promoting a brand that contains a questionable ingredient.
Thank you so much for pointing this out.

I do currently use the hikari algae wafers and all of my fish go nuts over them. And I've used hikari betta pellets in the past with no problems.

Ok, I just read this on a site, not sure if it is true or not, but something to think about:

"the coast guard requires all fish not meant for human consumption have Ethoxyquin added unless they have a permit to use a different antioxidant. If the animal feed company did not add it they don't have to list it but that does not mean its not there, it probably is."

So maybe omega one lists it on the ingredients since they obtain fish from their own fishing boats? So they have to add the ethoxyquin and since they add it they have to list it. As opposed to other companies just buying the fish meal from another source and thus since they didn't add it they technically don't have to list it.
Just a thought.

Food & Feeders

I use kens specific, their homemade brand
you can see ingredients before purchase
havent seen preservetives
huge selection almost to the species
you can call and talk to them
afterall you are a profesional to your product

I did some more research, from the articles I've read, it seems that the U.S. Coastguard requires that the fish carried in the boats use ethoxyquin to prevent combustion from the fats? i
However if the products are harvested inland and not required to be transferred by a boat then they do not have to be treated with ethoxyquin. However, many farmed fish inland are treated with a lot of antibiotics and growth hormones and what not that are also not listed on your ingredient label.

That's where you run into organic and I guess really the question "what would be best" is if you could find a USDA certified organic fish food, then you would know that all does the USDA even certify organic food for pet foods? I am not sure. I guess thats the only way you would know for sure that you are free of additives.

In conclusion, what is best? I suppose choose a quality betta pellet or flake that your betta enjoys and doesn't muck up the water, and feed live or frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp in between.

Well I found this product made by API and it looks pretty good it don't have that pesticide in the earlier poster wrote what do you guys think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120604_124854.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120604_124854.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20120604_124909.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120604_124909.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20120604_124920.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120604_124920.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 79
Greenphantom said:
Well I found this product made by API and it looks pretty good it don't have that pesticide in the earlier poster wrote what do you guys think?

I tried to get a better pic of the ingredients if not the exact name of the product is API BOTTOM FEEDER premium shrimp pellets

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120604_125506.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120604_125506.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20120604_125517.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120604_125517.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 79
This was the response I got directlt from the omega one customer service.

"Dear Ashley,

I am so happy to hear you and your fish are pleased with our foods. We believe strongly that in order to achieve the best possible fish nutrition, you must start with whole, fresh ingredients. The results are amazing, aren't they?

Regarding your question about ethoxyquin, we do use a very small, inert amount of it in our foods (along with other natural preservatives). The reason we do this is to prevent our fresh fats from turning rancid. I can tell you that this will in no way harm your fish. There is a lot of incorrect and exaggerated information on the internet regarding this preservative. Many articles and blogs have stated that this preservative is harmful to fish and other animals. However, there is absolutely no conclusive evidence to show that this is true. In addition, any study that has involved ethoxyquin's effects on animals has applied the antioxidant at a level that is hundreds, if not thousands of times the level that is used in fish food. I hope this helps answer your question.

I also wanted to note that the fish used in our foods are not farmed. Our fish is whole, fresh, and wild-caught by Alaskan fishermen and women. It is also food-grade and is sourced from sustainable fisheries. We use only the finest seafood ingredients in our foods.

As a family company, we truly appreciate your support of Omega One Premium Fish Foods. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Best Fishes,

Jenna Customer Care Omega One www.omegasea.net"

I use hikari micro pellets my, fish love them! I think you should try them.
yep, seems about right:)
I find that it is hard to go wrong with fish food. Not impossible, but pretty hard. If you go to a REPUTABLE pet store that specializes in fish, a knowledgeable employee who knows a lot about fish can help to steer you in the right direction. But ask them if they own any fish first. If they don't, and never had, seek out a more experienced employee. It kind of depends on the fish...its more of a matter for me getting my picky fishies to eat anything at all :)

I have researched fish foods a good bit for my betta n otos i have personally found they prefer omega one foods over several other brands..i buy my food from petsmart cause its closer to my house then the other places i can find it.. i have also noticed that my fish seem happier n healthier then my sisters ..the only difference seemed to b the food fed to them but that may not b it...good luck hope u find a food u and ur fish r happy with

Greenphantom said:
I dont think I will be feeding my fish Tetramin anymore this is one of the worst I seen

I never new that!!! But my fish love it......:(

I feed mostly hikari and omega one. I think I have one or two Wardley foods as well.

Back
Top Bottom