Best fish for a saltwater newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gafights said:
Good acclimation drip line. 30min to hour and they will be good to go.

X2
That's the best way to do any kind of addition to the tank. It matches the temp, ph, salinity, all that good stuff. Makes it easier on the fish to acclimate to the tank

I would Definately look at some wrasse. I swear my tank could explode and the wrasse would walk upstairs to let me know. He would live through everything.

I have a lunar wrasse not really what u need but there are plenty that stay much smaller. My tank is 1000 gallons and he is with sharks lionfish triggerfish stingray eel and tangs. Amongst other things.

I always liked gobies and blennies. They have a lot of personality and are fun to watch. I would avoid the damsels. They are aggressive and very difficult to remove as stated already. I would also avoid serpent stars. I found out the hard way they can take out a lot of your fish (they are fun to watch though). I miss my salt water tank. The best part is watching all the little critters that come out of the live rock (fireworms excluded).

A two-column tank is a tank with a stupid little brace in the middle I'm not really sure why the brace is there as it is a flimsy little piece of plastic and doesn't really do much.

Also do blue-green chromis have to be kept in a school, or is 2 of them sufficient?
2 chromis will work. I have only 2 in my tank and they're fine but IMO they'd be better off with at least 3 of them in there. Which is what I would've done if I had a bigger tank.

I have a mix of 40 turbo snails. 25 Astraea snails. 25 margarita snails. 20 turban snails. 20 cerith snails. 70 hermit crabs 50 dwarf zebra hermit crabs. 1 6 inch African red star fish and 1 4 inch sand sifting starfish. 1000 gallon tank. Not sure the ratio in mine is high or low but it seems to work really well.

I have some knowledge about tangs but I just wanna see what you guys know about them..I'm pretty sure you can only have one in the tank right? Cuz they will fight? Also is it the same deal if I put different types of tangs in the same tank? It's a 55g tank

I wouldn't really recommend any tangs in a tank that size as they grow big.

Stick to smaller fish or dwarf angels. Lemon peels are nice but nip at soft corals. Fire angels are stunning.

I know I would need a bigger tank I'm trying to get one in the future but I just wanted to know if like say a powder blue tang would get along with a yellow tang

Powder blue's can be aggressive towards any tang especially ones of similar appearance. They are also considered a 'difficult to keep fish'.

Do some research on tangs and other fish before you decide.

Back
Top Bottom