Best ground cover??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to "carpet" the substrate. I have black sand, but it is very difficult to vacuum as I cannot see what I am doing. I have good light in the room, but it just not reflect well into the tank and the two times I have tried to vacuum the bottom I accidentally sucked up a fish so now I only dip water out into a bucket to remove water and refill with my water changer. I understand by not vacuuming the bottom I leave behind a lot of waste, but it just isn't an option. So I am thinking if I cover the bottom with a "carpet" it would recycle the waste. What is best. I have some java moss, but it is slow growing due to my lighting. Note: I plan to get a colony of red cherry shrimp going if that matters.

I saw on aquariumplants.com they have a ground cover mat like a 10x10, but it is close to $40. Don't remember what it was called. Anyway, is this my best option? If not, any suggestions/recommendations would help.

Thanks.

What lighting do you have? In order to get a good carpeting effect, you really cannot skimp on light or co2. I wouldn't fret ALL that much about not being able to vacuum the substrate, with a good pwc schedule the ammonia should not have enough time to build up into toxic levels.

What lighting do you have? In order to get a good carpeting effect, you really cannot skimp on light or co2. I wouldn't fret ALL that much about not being able to vacuum the substrate, with a good pwc schedule the ammonia should not have enough time to build up into toxic levels.

I have two 17 watt t8 fixtures on my 60 gallon. Pretty much useless for plants. I only have low light plants right now. I dose with seachem flourish and api c02 booster supplement. (no actual c02 injection)

I do anywhere from 25% to 50% pwc's weekly without compromise.

I have two 17 watt t8 fixtures on my 60 gallon. Pretty much useless for plants. I only have low light plants right now. I dose with seachem flourish and api c02 booster supplement. (no actual c02 injection)

I do anywhere from 25% to 50% pwc's weekly without compromise.

Yes, you would definitely need to upgrade lighting in order to get any sort of carpet.

Back
Top Bottom