Best LED for 30 Inch Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank and I'm thinking about switching over to live plants soon, but my current light won't support live plant growth, so I need a new light. The tank is 30 inches long. I want to find a LED light that includes moonlight and allows me to control both with separate timers. So far, I've found this: Amazon.com: Marineland 24-Inch to 36-Inch Aquatic Plant LED Light with Timer: Pet Supplies But I'm fairly new to the hobby, so I wanted to ask some pros first. So in your opinion, what's the best light that meets all my criteria?? Thanks for the help!

P.S. I thought this looked good too, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to use timers with it. I would have to switch from daylight to moonlight manually. http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...ay+Planted++Aquarium+LED+Light+Plus+Moonlight

I have this exact same light on a tank. It is nice for the timer but it only gives me medium light. For less money than this Marineland you can get the Rolls Royce of LED's at this time. You can get the 30" BML High Light Dutch for $194. They are built like tanks and with a dimmer can be set from 10% brightness to 100%. Go to Buildmyled.com and check them out. I got to hold and see one in person and they are unbelievable. OS.

That BML light looks amazing, but it seems like the compatible controllers for it cost as much as the light. I wonder if there's a cheap controller that would work with it. All I would need to do is dim one channel. I can't justify buying a $200-$300 controller just for that.

I would do a Current USA Sattelite+ freshwater led. Great lights, has moonlight and tens of other fx, plus you can use the wireless remote. Good for low-med light plants for your tank, if you want higher get 2, or the add on strips.

That BML light looks amazing, but it seems like the compatible controllers for it cost as much as the light. I wonder if there's a cheap controller that would work with it. All I would need to do is dim one channel. I can't justify buying a $200-$300 controller just for that.

I have 4 BML fixtures and the dimmer attachment is only $15. I love these lights and the dimmer allows you to use the fixture from 10-100% light.

I like both of those lights, but there seems to be a problem which each. The bml has no moonlight and the current has no timer. So far, it looks light the marineland light is the best way to go for me, but I'm worried the light might not support plant growth as well as the other 2 lights.

Sent from my DROID4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like both of those lights, but there seems to be a problem which each. The bml has no moonlight and the current has no timer. So far, it looks light the marineland light is the best way to go for me, but I'm worried the light might not support plant growth as well as the other 2 lights.

Have you checked out the sat + yet? (Mentioned in an earlier) i am heavily considering getting one on my next tank

IMO, a light doesn't need a timer built in. You can easily, for less than $10, buy a timer at the hardware store. But, the Current satellite LED+ can be used with their new Ramp Timers, if you want a gradual sunrise and sunset. The only drawback to the Sat+ is they're not as intense as other fixtures. The BML wins in that department. But color change on a whim, dynamic modes, and moonlight options...The Sat+ wins.

Here's a YouTube vid I created demonstrating the Ramp Timer with a Sat+. I sped up the video, timelapse x9. I also cycle through some color and dynamic modes on the remote. (If you don't like electronic music, mute! Haha)

Last edited:
I have the Sat+ led fixture..I really like all the bells and whistles. It really is a cool light. I do wish it had stronger par values but my plants are doing well..but they could do better. I was going to get a glass top for my 36 BF and add a second one but my heat pump just clunked out so my upgrades will have to wait.

Just wondering, would a sat + be to much light for a planted 29g, but no co2. (basically would it work as a low-med light)

Just wondering, would a sat + be to much light for a planted 29g, but no co2. (basically would it work as a low-med light)

It would be perfect for this tank with no co2. Just keep the right kind of plants that would thrive in such an environment. You can always supplement a liquid carbon. That would help in lieu of co2.

First i have to get permission from my parents for the new tank, but while I was on my LFS's site, I saw they have a sale on tanks this month (about $1/gal, but a little more for larger tanks or special sizes like 30L, 125 fat, ect.)

I have this exact same light on a tank. It is nice for the timer but it only gives me medium light. For less money than this Marineland you can get the Rolls Royce of LED's at this time. You can get the 30" BML High Light Dutch for $194. They are built like tanks and with a dimmer can be set from 10% brightness to 100%. Go to Buildmyled.com and check them out. I got to hold and see one in person and they are unbelievable. OS.

Would it be possible to use that Marineland light without CO2? I'm switching to live plants for the first time, so I don't have any other equipment. I'd like it to be as simple as possible.

No Co2

Would it be possible to use that Marineland light without CO2? I'm switching to live plants for the first time, so I don't have any other equipment. I'd like it to be as simple as possible.

Yes. I have my Marineland on a 16g using Glut only as the carbon source. That and PPS-Pro ferts is giving me good medium light plant growth and health. OS.

Back
Top Bottom