Best Macroalgae, in my situation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazwaz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I have a hang on refugium with wet dry and protein skimmer in it. I want the best macroalgae for keeping my water as clear and oxidated as possible!

I am reef tank two weeks into cycling for first time. I also have a carbon three layer ML c-220 canister filter connected for optimal clarity.

Please advise if you see fit!

The LFS only got Halimeda. Is that good or should i invest the space with a different species?

I don't think that's good. I think it's a slower growing plant........ Not positive though. Caulerpa or chaeto would be your best bet.

Correct! Its a calcium based body, slow growing and low maintenance. Maybe i can combined it with shaving brushes?

I have halimedia & shaving brushes. Halimedia does grow slow but IMO its easy to take care of. My shaving brushes grow pretty fast. There good to have in a refuge.

DWilliams said:
I have halimedia & shaving brushes. Halimedia does grow slow but IMO its easy to take care of. My shaving brushes grow pretty fast. There good to have in a refuge.

They're wonderful to have but they aren't capable of providing the same level of nutrient uptake that much faster growing non-calcareous plants give. Plus halimedia and shaving brushes consume calcium and alkalinity. It's nothing some calkwasser and buffer or two part can't handle. Still, ordering cheato or culerpa, at least at some point, is the preferred option for most reef keepers.

Halimedia and shaving brush are usually valued as decorative plants.

If you get chaeto make sure you examine it for a week or so. I bought some for my fuge and found all sorts of goodies in it. Coppepods, a bristle worm and even a few apatisa. I'm glad I found it.

Thanks alot guys! I got some chateo, and some other macro algae that i dono what it is. Help identifying these species is helpfful! Thanks

image-4093352663.jpg

Attachments

• image-3320429661.jpg
    image-3320429661.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom