Best moss for covering drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for a nice moss that is able to cover a piece of drift wood exposed to high light, without getting stringy. I have tried this with java moss, but it just grew upwards and stringy, no matter what I did to stop it. Plus, I don't like how invasive java moss is. It seems like I spend a ridiculous amount of time picking it out of the gravel. Does anyone have any experience with other mosses that have the properties im looking for? Thanks.

Perhaps a Christmas or Flame moss? I have also heard of people taking marimo balls, splitting them, and attaching them to DW or using it as a ground cover.

Christmas moss covers mine fairly well. It's been on my driftwood for about 2-3 months and has just started to climb on it. However this is with low light and no co2 or fertilization.

I do like the look of riccia but it seems like it takes a lot of effort to attach it to wood. It might be a good plant to experiment with, but as a solution now, I think ill go with christmas moss. It seems to have the properties that I want.

What do you mean that there is no such thing as a good moss?

What do you mean that there is no such thing as a good moss?

Once it starts growing, you will never be able to get rid of it. I have been fighting with java moss and Christmas moss both in my 75 gallon high tech tank. Somehow the tank got contaminated with the crap, and I can't get rid of it. It also sucks up tons of nitrates so you may have to dose extra nitrates if you have a reasonable amount of moss in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom