Best Nano setup around 5-15 gallons.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be living somewhere where I can't take my 55 gallon. Its disappointing because I'll miss my 55 but I can keep something around 10 gallons. I am wondering what the BEST, commercial nano cube type tank is in the 5-15 gallon range. Price is not really an object, so I'm thinking something around 12 gallons with MH lighting, auto top off system and the best stuff I can buy for it. I know a considerable amount about aquariums but I know almost nothing about the commercial Nanos that are out there right now. Does anyone have any resources for good reviews on them? Anyone have any preferences? Experiences, good or bad?

I would skip any commercially available nano tank and go with an AGA 10-15 gallon. So much easier to get the lighting you want, the everything else you want. You don't have to compromise half as much. You can make an AGA into whatever you want.

(plunks $0.02 into bucket)

I want it to be a slick organic looking setup. My 55 gallon is a hodge podge type setup, I love it but the equipment is ugly. I am more then willing and able to do good looking modifications to the cube tank if it is called for but I really do want a commercial cube. This has to go in a high traffic area and I really want it to be as seamlessly integrated as possible. I don't want to see a single power head, I don't want lots of crap hanging off of it. Normally I would agree, in fact I have all the equipment I would need for a 10 gallon tank including the tank. I just want this to be a better looking setup then that.

Ah, I see. I've heard better things about the Oceanic Bio-cubes than the JBJ stuff, but I haven't used either of them, so I'm no help to you there. Whichever way you do decide to go, please do a tank diary and post pics. Those were what I found most helpful when I was a nano-noob (even though I still kinda am :lol:)

The BioCubes are really nice. I've seen the 29 gallon in person and the equipment looks pretty top-notch for an all in one setup. I believe that BioCubes come in 8, 12, and 29 gal (someone correct me if I am wrong) so they are a little bigger than the comparable JBJ or Current USA units... but they have a price tag to match.

The reason I suggested the Aquapod is that it is the only nano system I know of where you can choose halides right off the bat, rather than paying for a PC system only to upgrade the lighting later. Plus I think those Sunpods look pretty slick on a nano!

If you go wit JBJ make sure you get the deluxe version. It has better cooling and more light (48 watt PC I think) and there are TONS of mods for them, and websites devoted to such a thing.

The Oceanic BioCube sounds great, they are relatively new though < 1 year old, so who knows what will be found about them over time.

I thought I read on here about people having issues with their Aquapods cracking on the sides.... but I could be wrong.

Yeah I've got a tough decision here. The Biocubes look really nice but the aquapod comes with the halides. I really don't want to pay all that money for a biocube and then have to buy a REALLY expensive mh fixture when I can get it for less on the aquapod but the biocube looks better quality and people seem to like them alot.....

I dunno, I think I'll end up with better quality and just spend more. I don't want to cheap out on this. Unless someone has a better option I'm not finding.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Well, what are you interested in keeping? With the PC fixtures you'll be able to keep most anything besides some some sps corals... MH, IMO, isn't needed if you aren't planning a heavy sps tank.

It may be worth it to go the BioCube and PC route in that regard. Cheaper, and I'm sure heat has got to be an issue with MH over a tank that small. That's just a guess though.

This is a good price on the Bio Cube IMO.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Oceanic+BioCube-I-97982051-I-C-1-C-.aspx

With regards to the Aquapod, I haven't really heard many reviews about it. I thought the JBJ Nano Cube was the one that people had issues with as far as cracks... but I seem to remember hearing that about the earlier models, and that JBJ had addressed that problem in later models. Could be wrong about that though.

I am keeping an ALL sps tank. I have some nice Acro's in my 55 that I'm going to put in it as well as frags of montipora that my friend is giving me and some ricordias I have in my 55. I know about the chemistry issues, thats why I'm getting an auto top off and I can easily do a water change every couple days on a tank that small. Thats why I'm insisting on MH and I'm planning on running it like the aquapod w/ the open type top or buying a heavily cooled top from nano customs for the biocube. I'm thinking I'm going to end up with the Biocube. I will probably also end up with a small chiller to go with it. Since this is the largest tank I can keep I want to do everything I can technology wise to make it as stable as possible.

What ever you decide, also think about how you will get any replacement parts. When I decided to get a second small tank to start trying the SW world (I had a 29 gal AGA with FW and a 6 gal Eclipse with an aggressive FW fish) I had to think about ease of use. I personally like using the filter cartridges and had already found that my local Fred Meyers carried the filters for the Eclipse. This made it easier to keep a supply than trying to make it to a LFS when I was working odd hours.
It sounds like an Eclipse would not be good for you since you will be housing SPS and their requirements are more than would be met by this tank. But the advice would be to not just look at cost and features. Also look at how easy it is to find replacement bulbs, filter media, etc. A really great setup is not so great if you have to spend 3-4 time the normal cost for a bulb than a more universal type.

Please keep us informed as to what you do end up getting and how it does or does not live up to your expectations and the promises of the manufacturers.

Well I'm not using any filter media at all and 70 watt metal halide bulbs are pretty easy to find or order. The only concern I have left is getting a high quality auto top off. There are a few out there and I know they are always hidden but none of them I have found look really professional. Anyone know of a good autotopoff system?

Back
Top Bottom