Best Native Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
What were your favorite Native fish you have/had?

NatureFish
????

We've got pumpkinseed sunnies, creek chub and southern red bellied dace - all of which are entertaining to watch and have 'personality'. (Great leverage into bigger tanks. ;) )

Are there any low-flow native fish that aren't messy either? And can two or three be in a ten gallon? If so I want one!!!

NatureFish
????

There are plenty. Darters, small sunfish like enneacanthus sp.. gloriosus, chaetodon, obesus, all stay small topping out around 3". Pygmy sunfish stay under 2" for the most part, pygmy killifish, least killifish, madtoms.

I highly recommend madtoms. They are awesome.

Madtoms...sounds cool! Do they require lots of flow? My filter isn't the best for anything that requires currents. And they don't produce a lot of waste either? I'll definitely do some research on them!

NatureFish
????

Did a little research and I don't think a ten gallon will work for them long term. They are huge!!!

NatureFish
????

I'd recommend darters, the males have great colors, and they are just plain awesome

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd recommend darters, the males have great colors, and they are just plain awesome

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have to admit, darters are one of the cutest fish! It looks like they just scoot themselves around! It's so cute!!!

NatureFish
????

I wouldn't say madtoms are huge, most average around 2-3". There's some exceptions for sure, but I don't plan for my madtoms to be world record holders, and if they do, then I'll act accordingly :p Fwiw those pics are tadpole madtoms on a 4" sponge filter inside of a 10g tank.

Darters are about the same size, some species slightly bigger.

If you want to stay nano, gulf coast pygmy sunfish is hard to beat. Erica from Nanfa did a ton of videos and journals on her experience with them. (I'd link the vids ive made but hers are a lot better)

Maybe I researched the wrong madtom because they were several feet long...

NatureFish
????

I wouldn't say madtoms are huge, most average around 2-3". There's some exceptions for sure, but I don't plan for my madtoms to be world record holders, and if they do, then I'll act accordingly :p Fwiw those pics are tadpole madtoms on a 4" sponge filter inside of a 10g tank.

Darters are about the same size, some species slightly bigger.

If you want to stay nano, gulf coast pygmy sunfish is hard to beat. Erica from Nanfa did a ton of videos and journals on her experience with them. (I'd link the vids ive made but hers are a lot better)

Are you Jetajockey0 on YouTube?! I just saw your video! I like your sunfish!

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom