Best pH test? What about digital pH testers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While I'm still looking for a low-range NO3 test kit, I'm also wanting to get more precise with my pH levels.

The AP test kit I'm using now goes from 8.0 to 8.2 to 8.4 - pretty big ranges.

There are hundreds of electronic pH testers on eBay that read down to the hundreth - are any of those $25 meters any good? They're mostly Chinese, from a "Hanan" manufacturing, I think.

I won't ask about specific ones, to avoid violating any rules, but it seems like these would be great (if they worked).

You may want to check with Hara, I believe she uses one....

Scoot said:
The AP test kit I'm using now goes from 8.0 to 8.2 to 8.4 - pretty big ranges.
As long as you're in that ball park of "pretty big ranges" getting it more narrow is pointless and will have no affect on your fish or corals.

Your ph can swing from 8.3 to 8.0 overnight with no affect on your fish or corals.

It's wild swings in ph in a short amount of time that has adverse affects. People who over buffer their tanks or do it too quickly are usually the ones that have trouble.

As long as you slowly buffer (if you have to) and do regular 10%-20% pwc usually ph is the last thing you have to worry about in your tank.

I've used AP for over 15 years in both FW & SW for ph and it's always been accurate when compared to more expensive tests like Salifert which incidentally also measures in .2 increments like AP.

Had somebody else seen colors, not existing on the chart, while using AP pH test kit? Xenia continue to pulse all the time.

I also have Coralife pH Checker by HANNA, pretty soon adjusting screw for the calibration in the solution with pH 10.0 reached limits before than 10.0 was on the display, and I was very gentle with it.

Seachem Marine Basics shows almost not detectable difference in the shades.

Now relying on xenia, along with MG, Ca and kH tests. :p

daebjosd said:
Had somebody else seen colors, not existing on the chart, while using AP pH test kit?
Only with bad test kits. It was probably on the shelf at the lfs for years because I was getting a milky pink color.

With working test kits I'll get colors in between the colors on the chart sometimes.

My xenia's were pulsing, mostly at night, awhile back. They've stopped since then (a few months), but they've been growing like mad though.

My pH (AP test) is also a color that really isn't on the card. In between 8.0 and 8.2. I think. That jump is a big change in color, from brownish to purplish.

I just ordered a Hanna pH tester, with 0.01 resolution, for like $20 off eBay.

I'm getting color light, as 7.8 on the chart, but of cold brown shade, not yellowish brown, as 7.0 on the chart.
This constant guesswork - is kit working or not, and will the next kit work better or the same - is very frustrating.

Main thing is to make sure you properly rinse them out and let them air dry before putting the cap back on. You will get weird results if the tube isn't rinsed out completely from the other test. Especially if the last test was for nh3/no2/no3.

The cold brown shade sounds closer to 8.0 then 7.8

Personally mine is always very close in color to 8.2 different salt brands will give you higher/lower ph levels and it also depends on where you keep your sg. You may have to buffer your pwc mix slightly.

Hopefully the ph meter will give you more accurate numbers and is worth the $20 Scoot. Let us know what you think when you get it :)

Main thing is to make sure you properly rinse them out and let them air dry before putting the cap back on. You will get weird results if the tube isn't rinsed out completely from the other test. Especially if the last test was for nh3/no2/no3.
If we are talking about Hanna pH checker, instruction says rinse well and keep electrode damp all the time, using something like damp piece of paper towel inside the cap. This checker is for pH only.

Scoot, hope that your Hanna pH checker lasts longer than mine. :D

Back
Top Bottom