Best phosphate reducing media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CelticRose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I've joined this site in hopes of obtaining some advice that will provide a solution for my "green water" problem. I think I've ID'd the trouble - phosphates are too high. I used the API Phosphate Test kit. The test water turned navy blue indicating the phosphate levels are "off the chart". I have tested everything else - ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, Ph, hardness, etc. All the levels are perfect except for the sky high phosphates.

We purchased phosphate reducing sheets. My husband replaced them after a few weeks (he said they were black) and is now using API Phos-Zorb. I tested the phosphates a few weeks after putting in the sheets. There was no improvement in the phosphate level. I don't think the Phos-Zorb has made a difference, either. (I will test it tonight but the water is still as green as it's been all along.)

My husband does at least two, 25-50% water changes each week as well.

My questions are: Should we change the phosphate reducing media more frequently? (Is there a way of knowing when it is "used up"?) Will it take some time to reduce the levels if they are "off the chart"? Are there any medias that are more effective than others for reducing phosphates?

We have had this tank for 10 years. I know we have way too many fish for the 20 gallon tank but we never had trouble with "green water" until a few years ago. I was feeding the catfish algae wafers but have stopped using them.

I have tested our tap water. It contains no phoshates so that is not contributing to the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Mary

I`m going to move this to the FW forums so you`ll get better and more answers. Maybe you can post another member intro telling us about yourself.

Back
Top Bottom