Best place to buy tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaHemCheck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have bought tanks from craigslist and stores like petsmart and have had good luck with both. The benefit of a store is they usually offer lifetime guarantee's which is alot of weight off the back when you spend so much on a tank. But with craigslist you can get a good deal but worry about the trauma the tank has gone though. I am in the market for a new 75 gallon and don't know where to go this time.

What is your opinion?

I usually buy new, but one thing to keep in mind with the warranty is it doesn't cover consequential damage to floors, walls, and so forth.

Last edited:
I can tell you this much ... I wish I had insisted on doing a water test on the spot for leaks instead of believing someone telling me they're "going through a divorce so have to get rid of this tank"... I think the look on their face alone would have given me a red flag to back out. I will consider it a lesson learned. I was trying to save hundreds of dollars over getting all new items. Spent another $50 or so getting supplies to fix leaks. If it won't hold water, I can at least get back what I paid for it with all the extras and cabinet the tank came with.

YaHemCheck said:
I have bought tanks from craigslist and stores like petsmart and have had good luck with both. The benefit of a store is they usually offer lifetime guarantee's which is alot of weight off the back when you spend so much on a tank. But with craigslist you can get a good deal but worry about the trauma the tank has gone though. I am in the market for a new 75 gallon and don't know where to go this time.

What is your opinion?

Your hands are tied here and it seems you know this. Each has it's positives and negatives. I've also had good luck with both. If buying from CL or garage sales(I've gotten both) ask if it's possible for them to fill the tank for you before you shell out the cash. also throughly inspect it yourself!

I usually buy new because they don't have any faults, or something which isn't working. Plus I get warranties , and I don't have to touch up the lighting and stuff. I get my tanks from Maidenhead aquatics in England.

I got a complete 75 for 125 on craigs list and all was good but later i noticed a slight haze on the glass on the inside but cant realy be seen when full. all tha accesories i got were worth the 125 so im happy but the haze bothers me. I am now going to do a 125 and will buy the tank new but the rest will come from ebay amazon and craigslist. Just my 2c

I have never had any luck with craigslist. I used to look everyday but everyone in my area wants too much for their old tanks or else I get there and look at their stuff and it's in horrible shape. I still check it out every now and then but for buying a tank it hasn't come through.

Back
Top Bottom