Best place to get fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a small locally owned fish store i find them the best. If not Petsmart works too.

I agree, local fish stores that are privately owned are often wonderful. Their fish tend to be healthier, though sometimes slightly more expensive, but the price is worth it for healthy fish.
As for Petsmart, it depends on your local Petsmart. Some are better than others. The last thing you want is to buy unhealthy or excessively stressed fish, so make sure to observe if there are any dead, dying, or sick fish in your local Petsmart’s tanks. If they look healthy, then Petsmart could be a good option for you.

Either one. Just make sure to quarantine whatever you get for a few weeks. Most box stores and small mom and pop shops will honor a money return on a dead fish within this time. Online is a little different depending on what business you are dealing with.

Depends a little on where you live, but I get most of my fish from online stores. One in particular, WetSpot, in Portland, Oregon, is excellent. They have hundreds of species in stock and after about 15-20 shipments, only a very few fish died enroute, and i got credit for that. You pay for shipping, of course, but you can get fish you'll never see in a local pet store or Petsmart.

I started with a local fish store with sword tails and they bred, so I have home grown fish and guppies and a Bristlenose Pleco that my sister bred.

If you are in a major metropolitan area, check for local aquatic societies/clubs for fishkeepers. In our city, experienced and enthusiastic fishkeepers and fish breeders have periodic meetings and buy/sell/trade beautiful fish and supplies, sometimes at deep discounts.

Back
Top Bottom